NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
vfs_mountroot error while trying to install NEXTSTEP 3.3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonwoodland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: vfs_mountroot error while trying to install NEXTSTEP 3.3 Reply with quote

Hi, I'm extremely new to NeXT and not exactly a hardware guy so please forgive me if I make a few mistakes trying to explain my situation.

I'd love to replace DOS running on an old computer of mine with NEXTSTEP, I've downloaded all the floppy images from nextcomputer.org's archive and written them to floppies.

The system is as follows:
AMD Am486DX
20 MB of RAM
12 MB HDD
Winbond W83757F ISA I/O card

My IDE HDD and ATAPI CD-ROM is connected to the I/O card.
I've tried so many combinations of IDE/ATAPI drivers to get this working but I seem to get the same error each time: "vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root"
A detailed photo is available here: http://filecascade.com/old/uploads/files/1395919505_image.jpg

If anyone could help me our or point me in the right direction that would be amazing! I love NeXT and would buy a NeXTcube if I could afford it Razz
Thanks!
Noth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly a driver issue unfortunately and I'm not sure how well NS3.3 understands ISA settings. Also, 12, or 120 MB for the HDD is too small to be of any use ...

Have you tried the Primary/Secondary IDE driver (it's something like the 2 screens on from the CDROM driver selection)? That's meant to work pretty much with everything.
jasonwoodland

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noth wrote:
It's clearly a driver issue unfortunately and I'm not sure how well NS3.3 understands ISA settings. Also, 12, or 120 MB for the HDD is too small to be of any use ...

I also have a Quantum 15 GB AT Fireball. I'll plug that in.

Noth wrote:
Have you tried the Primary/Secondary IDE driver (it's something like the 2 screens on from the CDROM driver selection)? That's meant to work pretty much with everything.

This is on the main drivers diskette? Do I have to choose the Adaptec 154x first to show the IDE driver? Anyway, I'll try it out. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: