NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Basic cdrom mounting question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spintronic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Basic cdrom mounting question Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have NextStep 3.3 running on VMWare Player 6.0.2. I want to mount the developer's CD but can't seem to figure out which device, if any, it is assigned too. Can somebody please help me understand how to find and mount CDROM's on a virtual NextStep system? I tried both IDE and SCSI drives and mounting /dev/hd1a and /dev/sd0a and /dev/sd1a to no avail.

Thanks,
Jovan
Embarassed
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeXTSTEP 3.3 mounts the CD automatically, so you should be able to connect the CD to VMware, and then have NeXTSTEP see it. On my OS X box running Mavericks and Fusion 6, I put the CD into the drive, and OS X asks if I want to ignore it or eject it; I choose Ignore. Then, I connect my computer's CD-ROM drive directly to the NeXT VM, and it automatically shows up in Workspace Manager.
All mono
spintronic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Wonder if I'm missing drivers then. Reply with quote

Oh ok. So do I need to install drivers in order to get a VMWare mounted iso file to be recognized? I don't see anything. The os also says it doesn't have a network interface installed as well.
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For network and other things, you need to install VMware drivers, yes. Search the forums here; you'll find instructions on doing that.

If you have an ISO image of the 3.3 Developer Tools CD, you should be able to attach that ISO image to VMware Player, and have NeXTSTEP see it, with no additional drivers needed.
All mono
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear: you should take your ISO and connect that to the VM using VMware Player's "Connect CD/DVD" feature. The guest OS will know how to read the image.
All mono
spintronic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eagle. The problem turned out to be the VMware image I found is NextStep 4.0, which has a problem with mounting the cd drive. When I run the NextStep 3.3 image from osvirtual.net the cd drive is mounted on boot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: