NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Transfer old environment to virtual machine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatiron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Transfer old environment to virtual machine? Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly, my thanks for all those who have slogged through the many hours, days and nights to forge a way for NeXTSTep/Openstep to work on virtual machines. Without your documentation and discussion, I would never have been able to do it.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer on ways to accomplish moving an old i386/Nextstep 3.3 environment over to my newly created vm.

I have successfully installed NS3.3 with the various patches and drivers (thanks Morgon et al Smile ) on Fusion 6.0.4 (MSDOS OS Type and Hardware ver 6) - (“VMnext”).

I now want to move over an installation that sits on an old 486/Scsi/NS3.3 setup that is ~15 yrs old (“OldNext”).

My goal here is to preserve some work onto my vm so that I don’t have problems with antique hardware burning out and dealing with replacement, etc., never mind the fun of seeing things work speedier than they did 15 yrs ago!.

I have forgotten anything I ever knew about NetInfo, and have become frustrated going around in loops hacking at /etc/hostconfig and NetInfo hoping that VMnext will talk to the OldNext (or vice versa), so that I could use ftp, cp, dd or some other command to copy everything from OldNext to VMnext.

I had thoughts that I'd be able to mount the OldNext onto a mount point in VMNext and drag files and folders over, but that seems to be complicated by NetInfo settings on OldNext or vmware network settings on VMNext.

If anyone has any ideas on a bulk transfer and how/what I need to set up, I'd like to hear that or if my drag and drop concept is achievable, would like to hear that too.

I have the following hardware/software:

VMNext:
Macbook Pro 6,2
OSX 10.9.3
VMWare Fusion 6.0.4
Nextstep 3.3 (updates installed)

OldNext:
Micron 486
Matrox Millennium graphics card
Adaptec 2940 SCSI AHA
Seagate ST12400N HD
Intel Ethernet card
Nextstep 3.3

Hoping someone out there knows the way!

Many thanks,
flatiron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: