NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hidden history of PPC Openstep?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itomato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Hidden history of PPC Openstep? Reply with quote

Given the RISC workstation, we know a PPC build chain was present internally to NeXT.

Does anyone know of documentation or notes that shed light on the PPC development track during the NeXT > Apple transition?

I've been watching hours of everystevejobsvideo.com, and the Rhapsody demo of Claris Works really struck me.

How did it all come together on PowerPC?
chriskapeller

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Rumors talk about a computer collection at Infinite Loop Reply with quote

I repeatedly read about a NeXT Computer collection at the headquarters at Infinite Loop. There should be a working PPC prototype with a early PPC NeXTstep version.

Does anyone here have suggestions about this?

chriskapeller
gtnicol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the collection exists, but it's not open to the public...
pentium

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a rather interesting rumor that spread after Steve kicked it. Supposedly a document and a photo surfaced showing that the original Macintosh project overview (the books that were handed out at the first meeting) had been secretly assembled using PARC time and graphical assets and almost 30 years later sent shockwaves through the legal department. Steve ordered all of their prototype equipment that was not made within the last few years to be destroyed, probably to prevent any more humiliating revelations.
Nobody knows if this actually happened. It's possible the NeXT archives would of been purged too.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
gtnicol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine quite the opposite: NeXT and Apple were far enough ahead of their time that it would behoove them to hold onto as much IP as possible. I'm sure that in the museum (which is what I've heard it called), there would be all kinds of things we never even knew of.
pentium

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're dealing with Steve Jobs in early 2011. Steve's never cared about how historical something was. It was old tech. I think they only held onto it because the legal department used it to troll other people with patents.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
gtnicol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess the older hardware was used to defend Apple from patent suits, not to enforce them. Of course, with patents, they can be used both ways... can't say I agree with them in general, but in Apple's case, NeXT/Apple were very far ahead of their time, so I don't begrudge them some of their patents.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol wrote:
I would guess the older hardware was used to defend Apple from patent suits, not to enforce them. Of course, with patents, they can be used both ways... can't say I agree with them in general, but in Apple's case, NeXT/Apple were very far ahead of their time, so I don't begrudge them some of their patents.

The one and only time I went to Cupertino , much easier to do what I need to do here trusy me .... try and find a tool set at the place LOL....
I worked in the Apple patent War Room , yes they actually named the place and immortilised it with a plaque on the door of the room at HQ when I swooped in like a NeXT Tornado and networked a bunch of NeXT boxes for a prior art patent litigation case. True story this was a few years back all I know is that they had a lot of old Macs and NeXT in that room and I was able to get a few of them up and running again for purposes of demonstration.
I was also told they recycled a bunch of NeXT hardware before I got there as Apple is burning rubber into the future , I would have loved to have rescued it all. Crying or Very sad
gtnicol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I wonder if we were working on the same thing. I actually put together a network of 3 NeXT boxes so that you could demonstrate audio attachments to email.

Not for nothing, but that is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about: some of the software, and hardware-assisted software was ahead of the game. Of course, there's a question of true originality... in the late 80's I was working on distributed whiteboards and video conferencing system that were pretty cool... but they never escaped the labs.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtnicol wrote:
Hmmm. I wonder if we were working on the same thing. I actually put together a network of 3 NeXT boxes so that you could demonstrate audio attachments to email.

Not for nothing, but that is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about: some of the software, and hardware-assisted software was ahead of the game. Of course, there's a question of true originality... in the late 80's I was working on distributed whiteboards and video conferencing system that were pretty cool... but they never escaped the labs.

Hello Gavin: Sounds like it and the catch was it had to work on NeXTstep 1.0 then it was determined 3.0 would be ok. 1.0 which made it a challenge with the optical drives and old full height drives.
I brought my cube out there and remember the 1.0 drive crashed then the back up but they had some Macs . Folks looking in we're amazed as I'm Canabilizing macs for there drives builddisk the networking then showing it all worked. I went from being in the weeds to hero and had 4 of them going . I'm passed the 10 year NDA but still will keep cool about it as I enjoy working for them. It's fun anytime we can use these great old computers to upend the patent trolls or copycats , it seems as of late they just settle the disputes to be done with it. PS I'm finding good homes for a lot of the stuff but I won't run out any time soon!
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys know where at Apple HQ that NeXT collection is? What building and where in the building? Thanks.
All mono
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="eagle"]Do you guys know where at Apple HQ that NeXT collection is? What building and where in the .. Not sure if it is still there but here is a photo of it in the article
We had to check in and get clearance badges and we ate at the Macateria
http://www.applegazette.com/feature/inside-apple-hq/ the room I worked in was full of old Macs and NeXTs used to prove prior art cases and was in an offshoot building .
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. I've been a source of NeXT documentation/info on patent cases a few times too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT History All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: