NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT admin feeling sentimental

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttmooney

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: NeXT admin feeling sentimental Reply with quote

All --

Long time lurker. Newly-registered and this is my first post.

I just finished reading the Steve Jobs biography, which made me quite sentimental about my days running black NeXT hardware. I got my first Cube in 1996, after the hardware had stopped rolling off the line in Fremont. Back in those days there were maybe three vendors for second-hand equipment. Since I was in California, I got mine from a gent in Mill Valley, whose name I have totally forgotten since. It was an 040 cube and was awesome.

Over the years I moved from machine to machine. I bought a Turbo Colour Slab from ChannelU, tried to buy some stuff from Rob at Blackhole (but never could get the money together), and realised that shipping from Dancing Bear would break the bank. Eventually when I moved to Europe, I sold everything to help fund the move, and also because shipping equipment was outrageously expensive.

Through the years I usually had a Mac laptop, until one day I was tired of Apple's (then) crappy hardware support, and jumped to Linux on Dell. No matter what, I still miss my NeXT. I've even spent some hours in Virtualbox, but an application upgrade killed networking.

I've been thinking about trying to find some hardware, and sent Rob an email to see what he has. But something in the UK (or at least EU) would probably be better. Like everyone, I'd like a Turbo Dimension, but a Turbo Color or 040 cube would also be cool. Even if I end up with a slab, I'd still look for a cube.

What do y'all think? Am I being silly? I live in London, so space is at a premium, but, it's NeXT, right? There has to be room for that.

travis

PS -- I'm sure I'll post a WTB ad soon, don't worry!
gaspar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen bro!
Here to I work with very cool computers during the day as my job but none of the modern OS compare to Next

Looking to go back in again!

By the way. I have a few slabs. I will probably sell some soon.
Will let you know if I decide.
ttmooney

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaspar -

Rad. Just let me know.

T
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: NeXT admin feeling sentimental Reply with quote

ttmooney wrote:
All --

Long time lurker. Newly-registered and this is my first post.

I just finished reading the Steve Jobs biography, which made me quite sentimental about my days running black NeXT hardware. I got my first Cube in 1996, after the hardware had stopped rolling off the line in Fremont. Back in those days there were maybe three vendors for second-hand equipment. Since I was in California, I got mine from a gent in Mill Valley, whose name I have totally forgotten since. It was an 040 cube and was awesome.

Over the years I moved from machine to machine. I bought a Turbo Colour Slab from ChannelU, tried to buy some stuff from Rob at Blackhole (but never could get the money together), and realised that shipping from Dancing Bear would break the bank. Eventually when I moved to Europe, I sold everything to help fund the move, and also because shipping equipment was outrageously expensive.

Through the years I usually had a Mac laptop, until one day I was tired of Apple's (then) crappy hardware support, and jumped to Linux on Dell. No matter what, I still miss my NeXT. I've even spent some hours in Virtualbox, but an application upgrade killed networking.

I've been thinking about trying to find some hardware, and sent Rob an email to see what he has. But something in the UK (or at least EU) would probably be better. Like everyone, I'd like a Turbo Dimension, but a Turbo Color or 040 cube would also be cool. Even if I end up with a slab, I'd still look for a cube.

What do y'all think? Am I being silly? I live in London, so space is at a premium, but, it's NeXT, right? There has to be room for that.

travis

PS -- I'm sure I'll post a WTB ad soon, don't worry!

Atleast with the custom cables and or new soundbox mods we are able to save space using a flatpanel ! Let me know if you are ready for a NeXT I have some nice ones in currently! Best regards Rob Blessin

Sam Goldberger Spherical Solutions , he recently bought a monitor cable from me and is doing well.

Randy Rencsok ChannelU Turbo Software , I recently stopped by and visited Randy on a cross country trek picking up NeXT hardware... he is newly married and doing well in Lancing, Michigan

Randy met with Jim Moosman MTech before his passing in 2009 and I picked up a lot of Randy/ Jim's stuff and settled affairs and accounts for them.

Tim Griswold Dancing Bear wear abouts unknown , it was a bummer I really liked and trusted those guys but back in the 90's I paid for equipment and 2 of my guys transportation , rental equipment to fly out, load and drive back a bunch of world com NeXT equipment. We shipped it to Japan which was not cheap and basically I was stiffed on 27K .

We had a 3 way partnership with Shannon Edwards at Deepspace , he also was stiffed LOL as Dancing Bear disappeared but Tim did me a solid and sent me a box of NeXTSTEP 3.0 paper licenses . It was a tough lesson to learn just starting out but I got through it.

Shannon Edwards at Deepspace , we are great friends to this day , I really enjoy the wonky endeavors he comes up with ...for awhile he was doing Kettlecorn good stuff .... then he was selling chinese scooters ....now scientific boards , I think they show the periodic table not really sure.

At any rate it has been a fun 21 years and I Rob Blessin am still going strong here at Black Hole
Cool
More to the Worldcom story:
The guys I sent down to pick up the NeXT equipment Larry and Monty well not sure what they were thinking as yes they did bring back a lot of equipment. However, they did not bring back even half as much as they were supposed to because "it was hot" even though I hired laborers to help them with friggin dollies . a 24 foot truck LOL (takes 4 hours at most) . I bought packing materials like rolls of bubble wrap and boxes which oh yeah they decided we will just leave intact , as is makes the truck look fuller doh why not at least try to wrap the equipment. Then they give me the expenses , no need to go there raised eyebrows some refrense to the doll house strip club LOL. So not only stiffed by Dancing Bear who "sold " the equipment but did not pay me but hosed by the guys I hired and payed well to pick it up and ever covered lap dances LOL.... and I still survived it with out loosing my mind!
In the few dozen of loads of NeXT hardware , I've done since then my dad has been on a lot of missions, I've had other friends, workers, roommates, customers and I've done a few myself ... we've made sure to pick up everything and not leave a mess.
The easiest way is to just have UPS picked it up if boxed although the road trips are fun I'm getting old at 51. The last one this May, I came down with some sort of truck stop pneumonia but this NeXT business has been a great time and job!
cubist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Memory Lane Reply with quote

Wow, that pretty much covers the entire aftermarket world of NeXT. I think I've sent all of these people money at one time or another.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: NeXT admin feeling sentimental Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:

Randy met with Jim Moosman MTech before his passing in 2009 and I picked up a lot of Randy/ Jim's stuff and settled affairs and accounts for them.

Wow, I had no idea Jim had passed away. Back in the late 90's when I first got stationed here in NC, I had talked to him several times on the phone, finally met him & later purchased his personal NeXT Turbo Color Slab. I still have it in fact! It was/has been my own primary NeXT all these years. He was a great guy.

Steve, kb7sqi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: