NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How to sell/does this stuff have value?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: How to sell/does this stuff have value? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I scanned the rules, doesn't look like I'm violating policies, and since this is a discussion and not a formal sale ad, I'm going here. Please move to a more appropriate forum if required.

Here's the short of it, I've got 2 (maybe 3) complete or nearly so NeXT turbos w/21" good screens and a shelf of boxed (and loose disc) software, manuals, etc.

I don't want to see it hit the trash, but I'm not willing to deal with boxing and shipping it all up. Am I still going to find someone interested in taking it off my hands, or should I just part it out and ship it in larger, bulk, settings and bin the monitors and whatever no one wants?

I suppose a logical step is to sit down, catalogue it, and then post up a list seeing if there's interest, but I'm so far removed from this sort of thing I'm not sure if that'd be wasting my time and it's more or less junk.

So, in short, as a first step to cleaning out my closet...Should I bother?
jroark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to list all that on eBay (separately), I would guess you'd get somewhere around a grand for it all.

~$300 a machine (maybe more if you're in an urban area where local pickup for the heavy monitors is available)

Edit: looks like eBay disagrees with me, and turbo slabs are only fetching $100 or less
Scutboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located?
gfen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastern PA, so ideally knowing a fair idea of what its worth is going to get me to get a list together. I'd hate to make a halfassed suggestion of what I've got and have it turn out to be much less stunning, it just seems like a lot with the giant monitors. They're why I won't deal with shipping.

I'd been sitting on this stuff for about 14 years now, I used to use one at work and when we scrapped it all I took as much as I could hold. I always meant to get back at it, but I've got kids and it's just taking up room.

So, if I can get it to people who are into it, clean up some space, and get some scratch I think everyone could be happy.
Scutboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever seen one of the NeXT 21" monitors that doesn't have a cracked bezel from being moved around Very Happy

I'd be interested in software/manuals/docs, etc. and maybe a slab/keyboard/soundbox, but that would only be if you were willing to ship - and I understand why you might not want to.

Hopefully someone local will pop up. If not, before you do something rash, let me know since I have some on-line contact with folks in the York/Lancaster area and could maybe work something out.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfen wrote:
Eastern PA, so ideally knowing a fair idea of what its worth is going to get me to get a list together. I'd hate to make a halfassed suggestion of what I've got and have it turn out to be much less stunning, it just seems like a lot with the giant monitors. They're why I won't deal with shipping.

I'd been sitting on this stuff for about 14 years now, I used to use one at work and when we scrapped it all I took as much as I could hold. I always meant to get back at it, but I've got kids and it's just taking up room.

So, if I can get it to people who are into it, clean up some space, and get some scratch I think everyone could be happy.

Hello: I'm probably the one you seek as I buy NeXT lots , however my experience with the Hitachi 21" Monitors is unless there is a pickup more often than not the shippers break them. If you want to PM with an inventory list with what you are looking for I'm sure we can come to an agreement. I currently have 60 items for sale on EBay under computerpowwow / blackholeinc and you can search my history to see what I'm selling them for and everybody is happy by looking at the feedback. I think I'm by far the best deal around for people buying/ selling NeXT equipment, manuals and software. Everyone looking to sell I offer an easy way to clear out there stuff all at once for some scratch, granted it will not be as much as you would get selling it yourself but it is a lot less work and it helps keep the lights on . I make shipping easy as you just box everything up and use a bathroom scale and tape measure so I can generate UPS Call tags which you print out, then you can either choose to have them pick up or you can simply drop them off. I pay with paypal in advance but I have to buy right for everything to work. Let me know also a few people have already expressed interest in some of your items please let them have first option as I like to keep everything going in harmony! Best regards Rob Blessin
tomaz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, please don't chuck it into the dumpster. We'll find a way to get it off you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: