NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What to buy for running NS3.3 on SPARC/PA-RISC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: What to buy for running NS3.3 on SPARC/PA-RISC? Reply with quote

Hi all!

I've been thinking about getting a system for running NS3.3, and since I can't afford black hardware right now, it would have to be SPARC or PA-RISC based since I want a decent workstation to play with. Wink

I'm somewhat familiar with Sun hardware, I had an SS10 for many years, and I used a PA-RISC machine at work for a while, but I only used them with SunOS/Solaris/NetBSD and HP-UX. I had a Color Turbo slab for a while and loved it, but my gf at the time forced me to sell it as the place was rapidly filling up with oldish workstations Sad

What are some good machines to look for? I've been thinking about maybe another SS10, but HP machines I don't know well enough to know what works well.

I don't need much in terms of performance, I'm only buying this to get a new NS desktop to play with.

What do you all use, and how well does it work? Are there any gotchas I whould be looking out for, apart from the ones mentioned in the Sun HW guide in this forum?

I'd be really grateful for advice Smile

Petter
barcher174

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Petter,

I have both an HP and Sun workstation running NextStep 3.3. The HP workstations are nice, but I think the Sun machines are easier to find and were seemingly better supported by software. The Sparcstation 5 is a good choice with fast CPU's and built-in CD. The 110mhz model supports NextStep, but nothing faster as the chip architecture changed. They also tend to be more economical from what I've seen vs the 10 or 20. The faster CPU's tend to still fetch a good price for the 10 or 20 but if you can find a decently configured machine they are also a good choice. The Sun machines are also very easy to run with dual monitors if you're into that. Additional video cards can be found very cheaply if you keep your eye out. Finding the Dual video card for the HP workstation is like finding a unicorn at this point. Both use custom RAM, but I've found Sun memory cheaper and easier to find.

--
Brian
petter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply and your advice Smile

So you're basically saying that I would be best of with a Sun machine, and that's sort of what I wanted to hear as I really like them and know them better than the HP hardware Smile Dual screens would be really cool, as I already use such a setup under Linux, and they both have VGA input. How well does NS handle this, I've never tried it?

From what you're saying, I think I'll look for an SS5, as I don't need anything bigger. Unless I find a cheapish SS10 or 20, that is. Can NS use dual CPU's on these machines?

Thanks again,

Petter
barcher174

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Petter,

I believe NS is single core only. I'm not sure if that means you can only see one core or if that means you can only have one CPU installed as I've never tried. On the Sparc platform dual screens works well out of the box. The only issue you may run into is if you decide to change the primary display. In this case you need to use some open firmware commands at boot. This really only becomes an issue if you manage to find the 24bit display adapter for the SS5. I had a sparcstation 10 in the late 90's and wish I would have known how great nextstep runs on these at the time. Much more responsive than my memories of solaris.

--
Brian
Noth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the SS5 recommendation, NS3.3 runs really well on it. And a lot better than solaris ever did ...
petter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all advice! I guess I'll start looking for an SS5 or 10.

Out of curiosity, and because I'd guess they are much cheaper (but harder to find), what HP machines would be a good alternative?

Petter
jroark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petter wrote:
Thanks for all advice! I guess I'll start looking for an SS5 or 10.

Out of curiosity, and because I'd guess they are much cheaper (but harder to find), what HP machines would be a good alternative?

Petter

IIRC only the model 712 or 715 work with NS/OS

712s are the easiest to find

http://www.openpa.net/nextstep_pa-risc.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: