NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Boot Openstep Installation from CD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itomato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on this again. I had hoped to use the info from pitz' thread, but the i386 description link is dead. Crying or Very sad

Watch for updates/notes..
ebann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
I'm working on this again. I had hoped to use the info from pitz' thread, but the i386 description link is dead. Crying or Very sad

I'm with you... debugging a new system to work with OS4.2 requires constant floppy disk changes... having it all under one CD would rock. If the installation process is mainly script files, should not be hard to do. I'll look around the install CDs/floppies while I wait for my 2940 SCSI card to arrive...
pitz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll repost that blog entry before the weekend. It was erased when I switched over to a new blog, but I have the entry content backed up somewhere.
Note that there is a 2.88MB limit on the El Torito disk boot image, so the set of drivers that can be squeezed in there is limited in number.
pitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reposted my old blog entry at: http://peterwong.net/blog/?p=119

Here was the original posting in the forums.

A fair warning that the process was a little complicated and a little bit of familiarity with BSD, UFS, ISO9660, ElTorito, and such is needed.

/pitz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:

Any progress?
itomato

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the links and tested the ISOs again, it works quite well, but you need to be very specific in your timing in swapping the CDs.

Step 1. Download and burn the bootcd.iso file from the first post

Step 2. Download and burn the drivercd.iso file from the first post

Step 3. Boot your i386 Openstep system/VM from the CD containing the bootcd image

Step 4. Exclamation When you are prompted to insert the diskette containing the driver files, swap the CD for the drivercd disk, and press Enter

Step 5. Presumably due to both images having the same offset, the installer seeks to the correct location of the El Torito image. I'm guessing the BIOS interrupt data is relevant for the El Torito image in the driver disk as well. For whatever reason, it just works.

Step 6. This is the most critical step: After driver selection is complete and you are prompted to continue without loading additional drivers, eject the driver CD and insert your Openstep 4.2 User CDROM and press enter.

You should be greeted by the installation console view
redsun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early part works nicely. But after the computer reboots, it asks for the EISA and Dual EIDE drive on the beta driver CD. But it could not find it. So the machine can't boot. I do not know if single user would work to fix it.

This is on a Toshiba Tecra M2, P4. I probably do not need this machine, but just to test the new method.

I also tried to connect my Slim SCSI. The driver is loaded, but then it says the adaptor is not found. Was hoping the SCSI CD-ROM drive could help....

Now I'm stuck here....

itomato wrote:
I just updated the links and tested the ISOs again, it works quite well, but you need to be very specific in your timing in swapping the CDs.

Step 3. Boot your i386 Openstep system/VM from the CD containing the bootcd image

Step 4. Exclamation When you are prompted to insert the diskette containing the driver files, swap the CD for the drivercd disk, and press Enter

Step 5. Presumably due to both images having the same offset, the installer seeks to the correct location of the El Torito image. I'm guessing the BIOS interrupt data is relevant for the El Torito image in the driver disk as well. For whatever reason, it just works.

Step 6. This is the most critical step: After driver selection is complete and you are prompted to continue without loading additional drivers, eject the driver CD and insert your Openstep 4.2 User CDROM and press enter.

redsun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, this is not working. I've given up on this.

I built my laptop HD from my desktop. It works just fine. I also built the Windows XP dual boot. Now the laptop works well.
hitaka2006

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsun wrote:
The early part works nicely. But after the computer reboots, it asks for the EISA and Dual EIDE drive on the beta driver CD. But it could not find it. So the machine can't boot. I do not know if single user would work to fix it.

This is on a Toshiba Tecra M2, P4. I probably do not need this machine, but just to test the new method.

I also tried to connect my Slim SCSI. The driver is loaded, but then it says the adaptor is not found. Was hoping the SCSI CD-ROM drive could help....

Now I'm stuck here....

itomato wrote:

At the second reboot, you still need to proceed with Boot CD and Driver CD, with the boot option of "hd()mach=kernel". After reading the Primary/Secondary EIDE driver, just need to swap the Driver CD with NS User. You should just ignore another driver request at GUI.

It did work well with my digital HiNote Ultra 2000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: