NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Interesting Documentary Short about NeXT, web and AppStore

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did you have your app on the AppWrapper?
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
No
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

jtayler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Interesting Documentary Short about NeXT, web and AppStore Reply with quote

Where were you in 1992?

Are you a NeXT engineer? Was your app available on the Electronic AppWrapper? Were you a user who subscribed to the Electronic AppWrapper?

AppWrapper #3 was the AppStore first demonstrated to Steve Jobs.

I did that demo at NeXTWorld and I imagine a lot of you have stories about those days.

If you'd like to help, have memorabilia or stories or would be interested in being interviewed, please get in touch with myself or Bob Blessin and let us know.

Here is some information about this still unannounced documentary.

A long time ago…
there was no world wide web to surf and to purchase software, people would visit a place called “Egg Head”…Life was solitary, poor, brutish, and short.

At the dawn of the 1990’s there were radical software engineers working on a radical new computer. Software they invented, make possible the mobile computer you are using right now.

This is the story of history's greatest computer, inventing the world wide web and the first App Store

On October 12, 1988, Steve Jobs introduced the NeXT computer.

This computer would be the most broadly influential computer of the 20th century, while gaining less than a sliver of marketshare. Today, the story of this computer is almost entirely unknown.

It was the 20th century platform used to create two of the software technologies billions use everyday here in the 21st century — the combination of the web to publish digital content and the AppStore to protect author rights for digital content form the interconnected world we use today.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Documentary Short about NeXT, web and AppSto Reply with quote

jtayler wrote:
Where were you in 1992?

Are you a NeXT engineer? Was your app available on the Electronic AppWrapper? Were you a user who subscribed to the Electronic AppWrapper?

AppWrapper #3 was the AppStore first demonstrated to Steve Jobs.

I did that demo at NeXTWorld and I imagine a lot of you have stories about those days.

If you'd like to help, have memorabilia or stories or would be interested in being interviewed, please get in touch with myself or Bob Blessin and let us know.

Here is some information about this still unannounced documentary.

A long time ago…
there was no world wide web to surf and to purchase software, people would visit a place called “Egg Head”…Life was solitary, poor, brutish, and short.

At the dawn of the 1990’s there were radical software engineers working on a radical new computer. Software they invented, make possible the mobile computer you are using right now.

This is the story of history's greatest computer, inventing the world wide web and the first App Store

On October 12, 1988, Steve Jobs introduced the NeXT computer.

This computer would be the most broadly influential computer of the 20th century, while gaining less than a sliver of marketshare. Today, the story of this computer is almost entirely unknown.

It was the 20th century platform used to create two of the software technologies billions use everyday here in the 21st century — the combination of the web to publish digital content and the AppStore to protect author rights for digital content form the interconnected world we use today.
Jess I'm in for sure this will be a fun project ! Best regards Rob Blessin
jtayler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: NeXT Stories, NeXT computers in NYC? Reply with quote

If anyone has stories about NeXT they think would make a good segment in this documentary, drop us a line!

Also, if you or someone you know has a NeXT computer anywhere in the NYC area, we'd like to talk to you!
M Paquette

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1992? Yow. That was like... 23 years ago!

I had to go look. I think I was spending time mucking about with Haar wavelet transforms and similar weirdness, when I wasn't porting the Window Server to the NRW hardware (88110 version) and banging Adobe code drops into the window server code base.

QuickTime 1.5 was just coming out, and we were working on ways to do better, including real time video streaming on post-NeXTdimension hardware.

One SJ-gram talked about this:
Quote:
Well, I saw the new Harlett stuff, and I agree it looks very promising. However, I also saw the new QuickTime stuff at Comdex, and it looked really good too. I think a hair better than the new Harlett stuff, and it was half the data rate (2x CD rate, so it will work on the new double-speed CDROM drives now appearing).

I think we are on the right track, but we need to do three things --

1. Make Harlett a little better (maybe increasing fps will accomplish this),

2. Half the data rate, so that we are similar to QuickTime 1.5, and can be read from the new double-speed CDROM drives, and

3. Tune our real-time system, so that you can have two NRWs, each with a video camera, doing teleconferencing in real time over ethernet into a 320 x 240 window, with no bothersome latency and without hogging the ethernet too much.

Agree with the goals ? If so, please forward this email to the rest of the group.

NeXTTIME was still a year in the future, as was the Intel port. NeXTdimension had just been buttoned up and the 3.0 version of the ND software shipped at the beginning of the year.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M Paquette wrote:
1992? Yow. That was like... 23 years ago!

I had to go look. I think I was spending time mucking about with Haar wavelet transforms and similar weirdness, when I wasn't porting the Window Server to the NRW hardware (88110 version) and banging Adobe code drops into the window server code base.

QuickTime 1.5 was just coming out, and we were working on ways to do better, including real time video streaming on post-NeXTdimension hardware.

One SJ-gram talked about this:
Quote:
Well, I saw the new Harlett stuff, and I agree it looks very promising. However, I also saw the new QuickTime stuff at Comdex, and it looked really good too. I think a hair better than the new Harlett stuff, and it was half the data rate (2x CD rate, so it will work on the new double-speed CDROM drives now appearing).

I think we are on the right track, but we need to do three things --

1. Make Harlett a little better (maybe increasing fps will accomplish this),

2. Half the data rate, so that we are similar to QuickTime 1.5, and can be read from the new double-speed CDROM drives, and

3. Tune our real-time system, so that you can have two NRWs, each with a video camera, doing teleconferencing in real time over ethernet into a 320 x 240 window, with no bothersome latency and without hogging the ethernet too much.

Agree with the goals ? If so, please forward this email to the rest of the group.

NeXTTIME was still a year in the future, as was the Intel port. NeXTdimension had just been buttoned up and the 3.0 version of the ND software shipped at the beginning of the year.

Did NeXT have a working NRW 88110 configuration , I've seen the prototype photos , for those interested cool stuff: http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Images/Rare_NeXT_Hardware/NRW-NeXT_RISC_Workstation/ , it would be fun to find out what happened to the working ones! Shocked Best regards Rob Blessin
M Paquette

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:

Did NeXT have a working NRW 88110 configuration , I've seen the prototype photos , for those interested cool stuff: http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Images/Rare_NeXT_Hardware/NRW-NeXT_RISC_Workstation/ , it would be fun to find out what happened to the working ones! Shocked Best regards Rob Blessin

As I recall there were five working systems. There was one in the IL2 4th floor 'collection' still running in 2007. (Kevin E. had worked really hard at putting together a 'one of everything' collection that included most prototypes.) I haven't been by there since then.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M Paquette wrote:
Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:

As I recall there were five working systems. There was one in the IL2 4th floor 'collection' still running in 2007. (Kevin E. had worked really hard at putting together a 'one of everything' collection that included most prototypes.) I haven't been by there since then.

Hello Mike: that is really cool ! If you still have Kevin's contact info , please invite him to join the forums also feel free to give him my contact info I know I have a lot of the new old NeXT stock parts that he may be interested in for keeping the collection running.
Jesse , the offer still stands if you can't find a loaner NeXT back there I would be happy to loan one if you cover shipping. I know Gavin is in Providence RI and has some coolNeXT stuff !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT History All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: