NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Recommendation on file transfer of NeXT SCSI based files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingdon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Recommendation on file transfer of NeXT SCSI based files Reply with quote

Hi All;

I am soliciting any ideas on how best to transfer files that are currently on three SCSI drives formatted for NeXT OS and last used on a NeXT Station 20+ years ago to contemporary hardware.

I have thought of the following:

1) Get NeXT Station running, on a network and ftp the files. Problem here is I don't know the password, can't remember the SCSI ids that were used for the disks and no longer have a mega-pixel display cable. SO this is a bit of a longshot.

2) Connect the SCSI drives to a PC or a Mac. This would be a good option, but the difficulties here are: 1) Will the file systems be able to be read by the OS (Linux, Mac OS X?), and what SCSI card needs to be purchased for connectivity. SCSI on Linux may cost $50, but do the drivers exist...

3) SCSItoUSB - I see that milage varies on this subject and the hardware is getting scarce in 2015 (and expensive). Same caveats apply for FileSystem support.

My preference would be for a SCSItoUSB connected to a contemporary iMac running 10.10+. I think that the filesystem is/would be supported in the current OS X release, the only question is would the SCSI to USB dongle would work?

Have you tired to resurrect your old files from a NeXT in this way or another manner? Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

John
cuby

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendation on file transfer of NeXT SCSI based files Reply with quote

kingdon wrote:
2) Connect the SCSI drives to a PC or a Mac. This would be a good option, but the difficulties here are: 1) Will the file systems be able to be read by the OS (Linux, Mac OS X?), and what SCSI card needs to be purchased for connectivity. SCSI on Linux may cost $50, but do the drivers exist...

The UFS file system implementation provided by the Linux kernel has drivers for NeXTstep (and NeXTstep CD-ROM) file systems, any SCSI adapter should work if you have the correct cable. Alternatively, you could try to use FUSE (MacFUSE/OSXFUSE) on an OS X Mac with a supported SCSI controller.

However, I would first try to create a block-level copy of the disk using dd and then mount the file system image (e.g., using a loopback device on Linux with mount option -o loop). This is the safe option in case anything goes wrong with mounting the disk.

-- Michael
mikeboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB <-> SCSI adapters never worked reliably for me. also, there never was a driver for OS X AFAIR. the NeXT filesystem is not supported on OS X.

I mostly use my DELL PowerEdge T20 (cost me only 200 $ new!) and it has a classic PCI slot in which I can plug an ADAPTEC AVA-2903B. I run debian wheezy on this PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: