NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How does an Ext. Sun CD drive work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daverising

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: How does an Ext. Sun CD drive work? Reply with quote

So I got an old external SCSI Sun CD-ROM drive for my NeXTstation Color to install developer software on it, but I can't seem to figure out how to load the disk. When I push the eject button, nothing comes out and when I pushed open the drive flap, it didn't seem to have any hardware that could be ejected. Do I just put the CD in there and it ejects, or is my system broken in some way. It looks sort of like a big floppy drive but it clearly says on the case that it's a CD drive, and has a headphone jack too. Any help?
wa2flq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many older CD-ROM drives expected an external caddy.

see http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/842/retro-scan-of-the-week-cd-rom-caddy

When my kids where young and loved to abuse disks, these helped protect the media. Later units had a built in tray (or coffee cup holder!).
daverising

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so that's what that meant on the ebay page. They said it came with one but when I got it it did not. I called them but they were closed today. I read the article and I am a little worried. Will burned CD-R's not work on these drives? I am planning to buy the iso images from Black Hole Inc. and I'm worried it might not work with them. If not, any recommendations?
barcher174

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the caddies on ebay really cheap too. (CD caddy) Just burn the ISO as you you would any other.
Noth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a web or ftp server and your NeXT is networked on your lan you could mount the iso and copy the dev files to the server, so you can then easily download them to the NeXT station. Using CDs is retro but not that cool...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: