NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sending and Receiving Mail on NeXT using Mail.app

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alcmaeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Sending and Receiving Mail on NeXT using Mail.app Reply with quote

I pulled my Cube out of the closet after a few years of non-use and found out that the drive was no working correctly. I reformatted it and reinstalled a fresh install of OpenStep 4.2. I set up DNS and an connecting to the internet that way. I do not have other netinfo machines on the network.

Previously, I had the mail system correctly configured to send and receive mail using Mail.app and my ISP mail system.

I cannot find the old instructions I had for doing this and my UNIX skills have deteriorated. I have tried the instructions at:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1154&highlight=gmail

but the instructions assume a higher level of knowledge than I have, for instance the instruction:

#c_rehash ~/.certs/

returns "command not found"

and the instructions say "if you don't have sendmail setup on your system at all, you'll need proemial and the mailapp-utilities packages also."

I have both of these packages, but, without detailed instructions, I have not been able to make them work.

Can anyone point me to some basic, detailed instructions on setting up OpenStep so Mail.app can send and receive mail?

Thanks,

Alcmaeon
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that there are a few sample sendmail.cf files in /etc on the NeXT, and that one of them is for relaying mail through another server. Did you see any of those on your system, and did you try any of those?
All mono
Alcmaeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check that out.
Alcmaeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck. My ISP and my mail provider are not the same. I suppose this could be part of the problem, but I can't diagnose it.

My ISP is Time Warner Cable and my email provider is HostMonster which hosts my domain.
eagle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cable provider is Earthlink Cable, which uses TWC. TWC blocks outbound SMTP, so you need to relay through TWC's servers. Since you are a TWC customer, you have a TWC email address, and you will probably need to configure relaying with that address.
All mono
oneNeXT

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may be also a problem of authentication, which port do you have to connect to ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: