NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Using autonfsmount

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Using autonfsmount Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to put this, but I thought others might want it documented. I spent some time tonight figuring out how to use the NFS automounter that comes in NeXTSTEP, and here's how I got it working in NS 2.1.

I edited /etc/fstab with the entry I wanted to have. NeXT made a couple of changes: the regular mount command ignores items with a mountpoint of "/Net" and an option of "net"; these two things are what tell the automounter to operate on the mount.

Sample fstab entry:
Code:
HOSTNAME:/mount /Net nfs rw,net 0 0

With that fstab entry, the automounter mounts at /Net/HOSTNAME/mount. This directory can of course be accessed either via Terminal or GUI.

I'm mostly putting this here so that when I google it again in the future, I find it. Smile I just thought others might find it useful too.
All mono
eagle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed this step when writing this documentation earlier, or maybe it is specific to OPENSTEP 4.2.

Tonight, I found that in OPENSTEP 4.2 I must also create hosts entries for the NFS server and the NeXT. I created a hosts file with these contents:
Code:
10.0.1.14 mynfsfiler.domainname.net
10.0.2.15 openstep42.domainname.net

Note that this is specifically for use with Previous (note the 10.0.2.15 address).

The NeXT still complains during boot of not having a network, even with ethernet connected, but once it is booted, I can access my NFS directories.
All mono
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: