NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mac emulator architectures

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cuby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Mac emulator architectures Reply with quote

Hi,

this is slightly off-topic, since it considers Mac emulators on 68k in general - but some of you might be interested in this general topic (and I wouldn't know a better place, perhaps for 68kmla or the mac68k.info forums would also work). I started a new thread so the Daydream thread won't get abused...

I'm intrigued by all the discussion about Daydream/darkmatter. Mac emulation on other 68k systems has fascinated me since the first Mac 512k/Plus emulators for the Atari ST were announced (MagicSac/Aladin/Spectre); these were highly popular in Germany. The first thing I wrote on my Atari ST when I got it in the 80's was a 6502/Apple 2 emulator, written in 68k assembler.

While it is mostly of historical interest nowadays, it might be useful to collect as much information as possible on the various emulators. The author of Aladin mentioned in a forum post in 2013 that he might be willing to release his source code (1, sorry, in German only); the sources for Ardi's Executor (which reimplements a large part of System 6 and also includes a 68k JIT) are also freely available (2).

I seem to remember there were one or two Mac emulators for the Amiga, too. If you know any more details on any of the emulation systems, please feel free to add to this thread.

-- Michael

(1) http://forum.atari-home.de/index.php?topic=10347.15;wap2
(2) https://github.com/ctm/executor
schubige

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about emulators is that a few thousand lines of code enable billions of lines of code to run. It's a rather effective way to write software Wink

Have a look at http://www.emaculation.com/. Basilisk II and SheepShaver a probably the most advanced Mac emulators today.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schubige wrote:
The nice thing about emulators is that a few thousand lines of code enable billions of lines of code to run. It's a rather effective way to write software Wink

Have a look at http://www.emaculation.com/. Basilisk II and SheepShaver a probably the most advanced Mac emulators today.

I'll have a look at those emulators...

I'm happy we have NeXTSTEP and Darkmatter with MAC OS going now again as well but I'm still trying to figure out the install process.

Ardi had Executor for NeXT would it be possible to create an Emulator application within NeXTSTEP that ran later MAC OS apps up to version 8.1 , Dark Matter is amazing so it would be cool to have a hybrid or bridge between the 2 , where you boot into NeXTSTEP then launch an App within NeXTSTEP or Openstep that would allow for MAC OS apps to run.

I know there was SoftPC 4.1 for NeXT as well but they stopped support after Windows 3.11 and DOS , I wonder if it would be possible to update that software to run Windows 95 / 98 software on a NeXT 68K system.

Also running Linux would be cool as well and would prefer this above Windows.
protocol7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapeshifter was the Mac emulator for the Amiga. It was written by Christian Bauer who later wrote Basilisk and Sheepshaver. I remember reading about it back in the mid 90s in an article in one of my old Amiga magazines. Never got to try it as I (still) only have a stock A1200.

Not 68k, but the original Sheepshaver for (PowerPC) BeOS allowed you to boot your native Mac installation from inside BeOS. No need for rom or disk image files.

And then there was also MAE for Solaris and HP/UX.

Big thanks to Simon and Andreas for Darkmatter and getting it running in Previous. Never thought I'd get to see that one in action. It's great to see Previous progressing. While emulation never replaces the joy of owning the original hardware, it does replace the need to keep said hardware functioning over time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NeXT Work Logs All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: