NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Pyro installation
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nekonoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I took a few system photos for you. I'd also taken a couple photos of the Pyro install/motherboard mod for some Twitter posts, so I've gone ahead and uploaded those to Flickr as well: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68824983@N00/

The Pyro came as part of a trade for some SGI gear. The next thing I'd like to get going is a working MO drive. Smile
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful. I'd trade you 4 working MO's for a Pyro! Very Happy Thanks for sharing. Does it feel a lot faster than before overall?
nekonoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much night and day difference; faster boot time, quicker window redraws, system responsiveness, etc. I'm really impressed with it!

Also, if you're wondering why my cube has a prototype case/backplane - my original cube chassis was in very poor shape. I bought a freshly repainted prototype cube case (different cooling vents on the bottom, also originally had prototype paint color) and proto backplane from Rob Blessin and transferred all the rest of my old cube's parts (front bezel plate, rear panel, power supply, drive chassis, etc. My old damaged case w/backplane went back to Rob for a trade in credit.

That's also why the front drive bezel looks a little faded and worn compared to the case itself. Smile
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By prototype back plane do you mean the one that screws in via the 96 pin connector? Example here:

Also next time you open it up can you check the inside of the cube for the foundry marking?

Example:

I'm not quite sure how to completely read the foundry marks yet, but the 8 means 1988. This is from cube #57 for reference. It's seemingly impossible to find these early units without modification so I'm really interested in piecing together a timeline based on serials/foundry marks.
nekonoko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly like that. I opened it up and took some photos of the backplane and foundry marks. I couldn't find a circled number though.

Photos are here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/68824983@N00/?

Edit: Just realized I'd taken a photo of the front bezel foundry mark, and that's not original to the case. The case mark is probably under the backplane.
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foundry marks are behind the backplane. It looks like the screw mounts are missing behind the normal screw positions on the backplane. This dates your case older than the backplane itself (If only by a few months).
nekonoko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
The foundry marks are behind the backplane. It looks like the screw mounts are missing behind the normal screw positions on the backplane. This dates your case older than the backplane itself (If only by a few months).

Yeah, I didn't notice I was taking photos of the drive bezel foundry marks which is from my original 040 cube.

From what I was told of this case, it was sample used before pre-production and had an early non-NeXT black paint-job applied. It apparently never had a back to go with it, so no serial number, and had a "property of NeXT factory" sticker.
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever you get a chance I'd love to see that marking then. That could be the possible baseline for manufacture dates.
nekonoko

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking out all those slot screws on that backplane is a little more than I want to dive into tonight. Smile

If I do wind up taking the backplane out sometime I'll make sure to take photos though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Rare NeXT Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: