NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
OS under KVM / white hardware virtio drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dimbulb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: OS under KVM / white hardware virtio drivers Reply with quote

I've been trying to get OS42 running with KVM, and having a heck of a time doing it. The rub appears to be disk drivers that support everything OS uses. I'm still working at it, and I might find something that works. Maybe someone else here is doing it and can tell me what they did!

Also, I know we're all still generally using the VMWare drivers for virtualization, but they were written a while ago now, and the virtualization environment has changed a bit. QEMU-- which is the backend for KVM, the non-PV Xen stuff, and VirtualBox to a lesser extent-- has "virtio" drivers for network and disk io, plus a "QXL" video driver for better 2d graphics performance.

I've thought about porting the linux drivers for these as they did for the VMWare stuff, but it'll be a while before I could really sink my teeth into it, and I've not really written drivers for OS before. Anybody else had this idea or is working on it?

I think a really good thing here is that it would essentially tie hardware requirements to whatever Linux can run on. Even for a dedicated OS system, it'd be pretty straightforward to write a small Linux wrapper around a nextstep/openstep installation.

Nothing like Previous though, which I just started playing with last month and is amazing.
eagle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I don't understand how it works, but I have kept my virtual hardware at a very old revision in order to continue to use the VMware/OS drivers.
All mono
dimbulb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Maybe I don't understand how it works, but I have kept my virtual hardware at a very old revision in order to continue to use the VMware/OS drivers.

Nah, you understand it. There's newer stuff, and there are standardized ways to paravirtualize IO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: