NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sharing files Linux host and OS4.2 guest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madcrow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Sharing files Linux host and OS4.2 guest Reply with quote

I've got OPENSTEP 4.2 set up in Virtualbox, complete with networking and VESA color. Now that things are up and running, I'm wondering what the best way of sharing files between host and guest might be. In the past, I've simply built ISO images to go from host to guest, but this time, I'd like something a little more bidirectional.

Offhand, it looks like running an NFS server on the host and mounting it on the OS4.2 guest might work, but I'm not sure if the modern NFS server included with my Linux system can even "talk" to the NFSv2 client in OPENSTEP. Are there any other ways of approaching this?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing files Linux host and OS4.2 guest Reply with quote

madcrow wrote:
I've got OPENSTEP 4.2 set up in Virtualbox, complete with networking and VESA color. Now that things are up and running, I'm wondering what the best way of sharing files between host and guest might be. In the past, I've simply built ISO images to go from host to guest, but this time, I'd like something a little more bidirectional.

Offhand, it looks like running an NFS server on the host and mounting it on the OS4.2 guest might work, but I'm not sure if the modern NFS server included with my Linux system can even "talk" to the NFSv2 client in OPENSTEP. Are there any other ways of approaching this?

You might try setting up Samba for print and file sharing , it should be under packages in the Openstep 4.2 install user cd iso . It would be cool to hear if it works under Linux
madcrow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting up Samba on the NeXT side is doable with some port forwqrding Voodoo, but wouldn't be a great solution: My host system has hundreds of free gigabytes of storage while my OPENSTEP guest has a pair of virtual 4 GB hard drives. Running Samba on the host and connecting via a NeXT client, on the other hand, could be quite handy.
In initial testing, the FTP-like "smbclient" included with Samba is able to connect to shares on my host, which allows for basic two-way transfers, but the interface is clunky. Something that would allow me to mount a Samba share would be better. There's supposedly a shareware package called Sharity which provides the ability to mount SMB shares from a graphical interface. The OPENSTEP version hasn't been updated since the early 2000s, but it should do the trick. I'll report more after testing.
Morgon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Sharing files Linux host and OS4.2 guest Reply with quote

madcrow wrote:

There is no big problem in accessing the NFS share of a modern Linux from OpenStep. I am running this setup with OpenSUSE 13.2 and OS 4.2 for quite some while by now. You just need to give the nfs server the option "-V2" to enable the v2 interface.

Biggest downside of NFS is the encoding of the file names, as most modern Linux systems will use UTF-16 while OS uses it's own 8-bit encoding. While this is no problem with standard ascii characters below 127 it is for the Umlauts as modern linux programs running with UTF choke on the extended characters produced by OS.

Morgon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: