NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Bounty for much needed NeXTSTEP / Openstep apps and drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Bounty for much needed NeXTSTEP / Openstep apps and drivers Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: We have a lot of cool projects going on currently so I thought I would offer a bounty as I have a lot of neat NeXT hardware, Software, manuals and peripherals , I'm willing to offer in return for your talent in creating some much needed NeXT applications for the NeXT community .
I'll keep it simple:
1)
We need an easy way to use the ethernet capabilities of our good old NeXT and Intel hardware to connect to the net , including emulators like previous
via cable modems make this document come to life in the form of an application , that is easy to install and configure:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfile/Docs/TjLs_Cable_Modem_Guide.pdf
this will let us have fun running the very first web browsers found here on our NeXT's
www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/

Obviously it would be cool to have a more modern webbrowser and the guys at Omniweb were willing to offer assistance / advice and perhaps even source

2) on the NeXTSTEP 3.3 and Openstep 4.2 Intel side , it would be awesome to see a USB driver , in NeXTSTEP 3.3 there was a driver kit and I know Howard Cole at some point wrote a basic one .... it would be great to see support for USB keyboards and usb mice and a USB floppy .... and all kinds of other stuff ...

I will reward you with some really cool NeXT Hardware and Software all you will cover is shipping , I have a lot of new old stock.
if you are looking for something specific also drop me an email !

I have stacks of NeXT Laser Printers with the paperjam problem and new replacement Intake rollers , I would like to see these repaired as well and will offer them to you with trays and cable for $50 and ~$45 shipping , they use laser jet 2 cartridges , the new intake rollers are $15 ....
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/Hardware/NeXT%20400%20DPI%20Laser%20Printer%20Complete_OCR.pdf
plenty of repair documents here http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/Hardware/

Hope you all like the idea , as it'll give you fun stuff to do with our NeXT's and as always I appreciate your business and support in the forums as well as keeping the lights on at Black Hole !

Best Regards Rob Blessin

Cool
jpm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may take you up on your Laser Printer offer. I'll PM you. I may be able contribute to some other items at some point as well.
itomato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the 0.5b sources of Howard's driver up on GitHub:

https://github.com/itomato/UsbOHCI.0.5beta
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itomato wrote:
I put the 0.5b sources of Howard's driver up on GitHub:

https://github.com/itomato/UsbOHCI.0.5beta
TRhank you that is very cool! Best Regards Rob Blessin
evolver56k

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bounty for much needed NeXTSTEP / Openstep apps and driv Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/TjLs_Cable_Modem_Guide.pdf

I've been toying around in my head with trying to design an application to serve this purpose, but SimpleNetworkStarter.app completes 99% of what (I think) you're asking for.

Unless you intentionally need to nuke your NetInfo database, this doc seems overly complicated to set up static networking on OPENSTEP. I've successfully set up networking on my fresh install of OS 4.2 on my Color Turboslab (Thanks Rob, it's running great!) simply by using SimpleNetworkStarter.app and adding a nameserver entry to /etc/resolv.conf.

I can't speak to how SimpleNetworkStarter.app functions on NS 3.3, but unless the app is completely broken, I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

If you look at what SimpleNetworkStarter is actually doing under the hood, it's essentially making the same changes TjL's document is saying to do, but also editing /etc/hostconfig with the proper networking information (which TjL's document completely ignores).

The network startup scripts that run from /etc/rc on boot are actually reading /etc/hostconfig anyway, so unless you really need network information in the NetInfo database to make a NetInfo Domain (by which time you'd be using the glorified bootp stuff that's there by default), you should have your static IP information in /etc/hostconfig anyway.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bounty for much needed NeXTSTEP / Openstep apps and driv Reply with quote

evolver56k wrote:
Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/TjLs_Cable_Modem_Guide.pdf

I've been toying around in my head with trying to design an application to serve this purpose, but SimpleNetworkStarter.app completes 99% of what (I think) you're asking for.

Unless you intentionally need to nuke your NetInfo database, this doc seems overly complicated to set up static networking on OPENSTEP. I've successfully set up networking on my fresh install of OS 4.2 on my Color Turboslab (Thanks Rob, it's running great!) simply by using SimpleNetworkStarter.app and adding a nameserver entry to /etc/resolv.conf.

I can't speak to how SimpleNetworkStarter.app functions on NS 3.3, but unless the app is completely broken, I don't see why it wouldn't work there as well.

If you look at what SimpleNetworkStarter is actually doing under the hood, it's essentially making the same changes TjL's document is saying to do, but also editing /etc/hostconfig with the proper networking information (which TjL's document completely ignores).

The network startup scripts that run from /etc/rc on boot are actually reading /etc/hostconfig anyway, so unless you really need network information in the NetInfo database to make a NetInfo Domain (by which time you'd be using the glorified bootp stuff that's there by default), you should have your static IP information in /etc/hostconfig anyway.

I've used simple network starter to set up a server then it automatically finds clients and adds them to the network , I'm guessing it should then be able to just handshake with the router and see the cable modem. I often wondered if the document took into account simple network starter ... I still want to set up a wireless Ethernet bridge verse having cat 5 running through the house for the NeXT as well but need to learn more about networking and configuration syntax and protocols to make it work. Will Mac OSX just see the NeXTs on the network for print and file sharing?
calvinb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I just don't see the point when SNS and editing resolv.conf can do everything you'd want, especially with NAT. Use a static IP on your LAN, set up gateway, done. No NetInfo, but I really don't care about that. (Modern OS X doesn't so that anyways)

The only problem is NFS is a bit janky, but if you mount directly from the terminal, it's fine. Printing is just going to be a PITA, especially without a PostScript printer. Samba might be interesting to experiment with, but probably not worth it.

Now for WiFi, I actually have a Ethernet->WiFi bridge. You plug in the adapter to USB power, plug it into Ethernet, and you have WiFi on your Next.
evolver56k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFIAK, you really only have 3 options for file sharing to/from OS X or Linux/Unix.

First option is NFS, which as calvinb touched on is doable, but automounting NFS isn't easy without NetInfo set up properly. You can mount via terminal with
Code:
mount -t nfs host.ip.or.hostname:/sharename /mountpoint
You'll need to make a proper /etc/exports entry for your *nix. and on OS X start the NFS daemon with
Code:
sudo nfsd start
Though not easy to get going, once you do have NFS working on both sides, that's the easiest way to transfer files to and from NS or OS.

Second option is FTP, you can enable the built-in FTP server on OS X with
Code:
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/ftp.plist
and log into the FTP service with your Mac username and password. Also allows you to transfer files to and from NS or OS, albeit not in the most efficient manner.

Third option is enable Web Sharing on OS X, and you can simply place files in your ~/Sites folder on the Mac, and using a web browser on NS/OS navigate to http://your.macs.ip.address/~yourusername/ and you can download files to your NS/OS. Drawback is you already need to have installed a browser, and it's only unidirectional from your Mac.
evolver56k

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write this part with the above post, but it's long winded and will probably generate a lot of noise. I apologize.

As for printing, it's either really easy, or super complicated. For instance, I have an HP Color LaserJet 4600 that has an ethernet printserver built in, and supplies a JetDirect print service that works flawlessly just by setting it up in PrintManager. I even downloaded the driver PPD from HP, and it prints in full color.

I also have a monochrome Brother HL-5040 (old guy but cheap toner) that has Brother's version of PostScript 3, known as BR-Script. You can create a JetDirect service on OS X fairly easily with the following plist saved to /Library/LaunchAgents/org.cups.jetdirect.listener.plist

This part only works with a printer that can take RAW PostScript and print it. If you do this with a non-PostScript capable printer, you will just get the RAW PostScript TEXT output
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>org.cups.jetdirect.listener</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/bin/lp</string>
        <string>-d</string>
        <string>Brother_HL5040</string>
        <string>-o</string>
        <string>raw</string>
</array>
    <key>inetdCompatibility</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Wait</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>Sockets</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Listeners</key>
        <dict>
            <key>SockServiceName</key>
            <string>hp-pdl-datastr</string>
            <key>SockType</key>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

EDIT: You'll have to change the Brother_HL5040 line to whatever your printers queue name is in CUPS. Go to http://localhost:631/printers/ to see your queue names.

If you want to try printing to a non-PostScript printer you can start with this plist and modify it to your needs
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>org.cups.jetdirect.listener</string>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>/usr/bin/lp</string>
        <string>-d</string>
        <string>EPSON_Artisan_1430</string>
        <string>-o</string>
        <string>media=letter</string>
</array>
    <key>inetdCompatibility</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Wait</key>
        <false/>
    </dict>
    <key>Sockets</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Listeners</key>
        <dict>
            <key>SockServiceName</key>
            <key>SockType</key>
        </dict>
    </dict>
</dict>
</plist>

EDIT: Again, you'll have to change the EPSON_Artisan_1430 line to whatever your printers queue name is in CUPS. Go to http://localhost:631/printers/ to see your queue names.

By removing the raw argument to -o (options), you can get CUPS to interpret the PostScript and render the appropriate format for your printer. The problem with this approach is you have to explicitly set any options on paper type, quality, and color settings as ProgramArguments to lp, and the options beyond media size are printer specific and not really easy to figure out, but it does technically work.
Start the LaunchAgent with
Code:
sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchAgents/org.cups.jetdirect.listener.plist

And you can make a printer in PrintManager with the IP of your Mac and whichever printer type you want (I used Apple LaserWriter IIg)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: