NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mac SE Hard Drive Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daverising

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Mac SE Hard Drive Problems Reply with quote

I recently got a new hard drive for my Mac SE and I know it works because it's been tested, but my SE just doesn't want to boot from it. When I put in a floppy it also doesn't read the HDD. It won't show up on the desktop and it's a new one so there is no striction. Here is a similar HDD I found off of ebay by the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-80MB-SCSI-Hard-Drive-w-System-6-0-8-Classic-SE-Plus-II-80SC-/140998075479?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d423e457

Please help! Do I need a new Logic Board? New ROM chips? What can I do to get this running?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac SE Hard Drive Problems Reply with quote

daverising wrote:
I recently got a new hard drive for my Mac SE and I know it works because it's been tested, but my SE just doesn't want to boot from it. When I put in a floppy it also doesn't read the HDD. It won't show up on the desktop and it's a new one so there is no striction. Here is a similar HDD I found off of ebay by the same seller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-80MB-SCSI-Hard-Drive-w-System-6-0-8-Classic-SE-Plus-II-80SC-/140998075479?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d423e457

Please help! Do I need a new Logic Board? New ROM chips? What can I do to get this running?
Not sure if trail has gone cold and I'm no Apple Hardware expert on this but my guess is it needs formatting first, second if it still does not see it may be leaky capacitors and charles@maccaps.com would probably have the answer to this... I've replaced the logic board on a G3 one time and that worked to get it to see the drive. May also be driver termination juper issue...
Best Regards Rob
mikeboss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea for you to join the 68kMLA Forums.

https://68kmla.org/forums/

the harddrive you bought also has System 6.0.8 installed? if so, the Mac should boot from it. I recently had an SE/30 with a similar problem: the SCSI controller wouldn't see any devices. I ended up replacing the main logic board... oh, and of course, just as rob mentioned: if not done already you should replace all the capacitors on the mainboard immediately!

regards,
michael
LOOM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to use another partitioning tool and see if it can find it:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fwb-hard-disk-toolkit-v16-v163-update

Apple's won't work if the serial numbers doesn't match. So you actually have to patch it for 3rd party drives to make them work.

Also check if the disk can be found on the SCSI bus:
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/scsiprobe

If not the disk is not working any more.

Most of the HDDs I've got with old computers have stopped working a few weeks/months after I got them. They are really not reliable, and after 20 years they will probably die soon. Therefore I've bought a few SCSI2SD's instead, and partitioned SD cards and used them in my Macs and Sparc-machines: http://www.codesrc.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=SCSI2SD
pentium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Rob, this was two years ago. Razz

Quote:
my guess is it needs formatting first, second if it still does not see it may be leaky capacitors and charles@maccaps.com would probably have the answer to this... I've replaced the logic board on a G3 one time and that worked to get it to see the drive. May also be driver termination juper issue...

Quantum drives of that era shouldn't have a problem with leaking capacitors. Most hard drives used tantalum or metal film.

Comparing an SE to a G3 is a massive leap. That was a pretty bad comparison.

As for termination in a compact mac I've found the distance between the controller and the drive is short enough you can often get away without needing one but mileage WILL vary.

Quote:
oh, and of course, just as rob mentioned: if not done already you should replace all the capacitors on the mainboard immediately!

It's an SE. It doesn't have a capacitor leak problem. Also, your SE/30 might of just had someone plug a parallel device into the SCSI port. That typically nukes the controller real good.

Quote:
Most of the HDDs I've got with old computers have stopped working a few weeks/months after I got them. They are really not reliable, and after 20 years they will probably die soon.

No, Quantum drives are typically just garbage. Apple was using them because they were cheap.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentium wrote:
Holy crap Rob, this was two years ago. Razz

Quote:
my guess is it needs formatting first, second if it still does not see it may be leaky capacitors and charles@maccaps.com would probably have the answer to this... I've replaced the logic board on a G3 one time and that worked to get it to see the drive. May also be driver termination juper issue...

Quantum drives of that era shouldn't have a problem with leaking capacitors. Most hard drives used tantalum or metal film.

Comparing an SE to a G3 is a massive leap. That was a pretty bad comparison.

As for termination in a compact mac I've found the distance between the controller and the drive is short enough you can often get away without needing one but mileage WILL vary.

Quote:
oh, and of course, just as rob mentioned: if not done already you should replace all the capacitors on the mainboard immediately!

It's an SE. It doesn't have a capacitor leak problem. Also, your SE/30 might of just had someone plug a parallel device into the SCSI port. That typically nukes the controller real good.

Quote:
Most of the HDDs I've got with old computers have stopped working a few weeks/months after I got them. They are really not reliable, and after 20 years they will probably die soon.

No, Quantum drives are typically just garbage. Apple was using them because they were cheap.

I know it was 2 years ago but now we all have the answer , I've seen threads come back to life from 10 years back .... I think with a growing collector market we are seeing a lot of new members as well which is very cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: