NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Install OPENSTEP 4.2 on an IBM ThinkPad 560 without CD-ROM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobo68

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Install OPENSTEP 4.2 on an IBM ThinkPad 560 without CD-ROM Reply with quote

Got a ThinkPad 560 because I read it can run OS 4.2 very well. The machine has no external CD-ROM, just a floppy drive.

Any hints how I can install OS 4.2 on the machine? It boots the OS 4.2 boot floppy of course. I dd'ed the image of the OS 4.2 CD-ROM onto a CF Card and stuck it into the PCMCIA slot via an adapter. But I see no way to make the installer accept the PCMCIA "drive" as an install medium.

Any help is much appreciated.
itomato

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to skip the installation altogether and try installing an OpenStep image directly to disk from another computer.

Take out the HDD and use a USB converter to connect it to a host computer.

There are disk images floating around on the internet that would be suitable.

Another option would be to buy a SCSI PCMCIA CDROM. I have one to post in the classifieds.
bobo68

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought along similar lines, e.g. creating a drive image with OPENSTEP running in Parallels and BuildDisk.app.

But I think this would create an image that is specific to the Parallels environment and will not run on the 560 due to missing drivers?!
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMware, Qemu and VirtualBox will all generate a disk image that can be converted to a raw image.

That image could be written directly to HDD.
bobo68

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. By "raw" image you mean a generic image that would run on any other machine?

How is that done?
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VirtualBox does it this way:http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-clonevdi
bobo68

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm. This image will have a OS install on it that is specific to the hardware emulated by VirtualBox (for graphics, audio, network, ...). This will not run on another hardware configuration, I guess.
Noth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobo68 wrote:
Hmmmm. This image will have a OS install on it that is specific to the hardware emulated by VirtualBox (for graphics, audio, network, ...). This will not run on another hardware configuration, I guess.

If you make the installer load all the drivers needed for the thinkpad when installing in virtualbox, they'll be present when switched to the laptop. I think using Configure.app if you switch the driver for the disk device to the correct one *before* switching over you should be ok and have a booting OS that you then need to reselect the correct drivers for once you log in.
Daxziz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what driver the laptop would use for the disk if you could install it directly on the laptop it self? It might be that the laptop is actually using the same controller as the one being used by some of the virtualization products.

Personally I would see if that was the case and then use that specific product to build the image on the virtual drive and then clone it to the device with a tool which does raw copying of the sectors.
If the virtualization product used can do direct / raw device mapping I would go for that option.
Then, as suggested above, I would make certain that all the needed drivers are present in the disk image before moving it to the laptop.

Once the disk is verified to work in the laptop I would use a tool like Norton Ghost or anything that can copy a disk in a raw format and save that for any future re-installations.

-Daxziz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: