NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Spam accounts warning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Spam accounts warning Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: We are an Open forum specific to NeXT computers and I'm fairly sure recently we are getting quite a few sleeper spam troll accounts. So any thoughts on how to curtail this rather than me just approving new users , I'll use common sense and delete a bunch of them now apologies to anyone caught up in this by mistake . I thought may be a short reference to NeXT under hobbies when joining will help me do a better job as I'm not trying to approve new members when it's obvious it is a sleeper spam ploy LOL. I'm going to delete a few accounts a day if you are one of them by mistake just email me at sales@blackholeinc.com and I'll be happy to clear it up quickly. Note to Spammers you will be deleted immediately. Legitimate new members we welcome you aboard ![/b]
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there no anti-spam measures that could be implemented in the registration process? Maybe a few randomly generated questions that would require a human to answer (incorporate some ambiguity in the question).

For example:

When was NeXT founded?
Who was the CEO of NeXT?
What programming language was used to develop NeXT applications?
What was the version number of the last NeXTSTEP release?
What nickname was given to the NeXTstation, based on its form factor?
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Slateblue: I like it I'll forward through to NITRO and tinker with it to see if it will work. Best Regards Rob Blessin Cool
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Forum Members: I need a little help , if you all would be so kind as to go to the members section and do a sort to show the most recent members. It will kind of show you what I am dealing with daily , we are having a lot of people taking the time to join the forum.
I have serious doubts that there is truly that much interest in old NeXT computers this late in the game LOL , so when I receive 7 requests for new membership from the far reaches of the globe with in minutes it is a red flag.
I'm perplexed as to why they are signing up and what is spawning this sudden interest and suspect more likely some spam attack waiting to happen at some future date verse legitimate on topic discussion of NeXT hardware. I've headed off some real peaches by just deleting their accounts right off the bat.
I'm really hoping I have not deleted any members with a sincere interest in Steve Jobs NeXT Computers as we are not trying to pad our membership with make believe charactors of dubious rebuke LOL.
We are going to have to upgrade the site to have qualifying questions to join up as I say we welcome new members but it is a pain in the butt to have spammers signing up left right and center and having to make judgement calls as my time is limited a lot of projects on my plate.
Cool
blackbeauty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
Hello Forum Members: I need a little help , if you all would be so kind as to go to the members section and do a sort to show the most recent members. It will kind of show you what I am dealing with daily , we are having a lot of people taking the time to join the forum.
I have serious doubts that there is truly that much interest in old NeXT computers this late in the game LOL , so when I receive 7 requests for new membership from the far reaches of the globe with in minutes it is a red flag.
I'm perplexed as to why they are signing up and what is spawning this sudden interest and suspect more likely some spam attack waiting to happen at some future date verse legitimate on topic discussion of NeXT hardware. I've headed off some real peaches by just deleting their accounts right off the bat.
I'm really hoping I have not deleted any members with a sincere interest in Steve Jobs NeXT Computers as we are not trying to pad our membership with make believe charactors of dubious rebuke LOL.
We are going to have to upgrade the site to have qualifying questions to join up as I say we welcome new members but it is a pain in the butt to have spammers signing up left right and center and having to make judgement calls as my time is limited a lot of projects on my plate.
Cool

That is indeed strange and your suspicion is well founded...
I also like the proposal by SlateBlue to introduce a NeXT trivia captcha, but this would only work for new members I guess. Or you would have to introduce a regular check (once a year or so) that requires a member to answer a question. If time's up the account is suspended until the member confirms his continuing interest by answering the captcha. Of course, this procedure has drawbacks as well: How to best deal with fake accounts that have already entered the trusted circle of black hardware enthusiasts?
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most BBS signup processes require the new member to activate the new account via email. This requires a user to login to his or her email, and then click an activation link. I think our verification process should be two-step: 1) use a captcha during the registration process so that 2) when the registration is submitted, the activation link will be sent to a valid email address for account activation. The user then needs to login to email and click the link for activation. This keeps you from having to babysit every registration attempt and likely cut down on human error. And, valid registrants can access the forums as soon as they self-activate instead of waiting a few days for an admin to do so.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have users signing up to use the forum as a private or back channel messaging system. If possible, check to see if these new users are sending/receiving a lot of messages with other new forum members, or if they are using a lot of message storage space.
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the spam begins as user CurtisWam is spamming multiple threads.

Stephenkesk as well

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3988
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chef!

I'm on it I just killed 23 spam messages . What is with these spammer folks man , the spams I eliminated were about shoes, I'm guessing bootleg knockoffs and some dark political stories yikes . We are friendly here, how do they not understand we don't want spam but we invite participation in the good old NeXT computers forum for like minded vintage computing enthusiasts regardless of where your from ! As I say I'm trying to prevent the spam attacks at the front end and always appreciate the help keeping it NeXT Apple related. I've been to a lot of forums where it completely over run by spam and it makes it no fun for the participants.
Also I've had to ban some email extensions to prevent being over run so if you can't register or didn't receive confirmation just drop me an email directly to sales@blackholeinc.com and I'll get you registered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Site News All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: