NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Well, I am disappointed....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a somewhat related note, you will find that the NeXT is somewhat like a modern Mac, but with an order of magnitude more exposure to the UNIX (BSD) underpinnings. So for a user is it very simple but for a system administrator is it much harder than a modern Mac...
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr:

Ha Ha Ha....

At this point, explaining in GREAT DETAIL is exactly what I don't need.

Explaining like I'm a dolt is actually much better.

I have a link to the admin manual in my bookmarks and I have searchable .PDFs of the NeXTStep Quick Start and NeXTStep Users Guide on my desktop.

It says in the QuickStart that if the user is not going to be using the computer for a few days, shut it off. Is this realistic advice or should I only power it up when I am going to use it and then shut it off when finished.

From the lack of dust inside the box and the general lack of wear outside on this computer I suspect it has very little use. Do those dreaded capacitors I have been reading about fail from decades of use or from old age ? Just curious. From what I know of the fellow who I got it from, I suspect that he bought this NeXTStation on a whim, tried it our for a few days or hours, and then put it away. I'm pretty sure that he bought it back in the 1990s.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when I say I have the manuals on my Desktop, I mean my Macintosh Desktop.

At this point, figuring out how to configure or connect this NeXTStation to our home RJ-45 Ethernet network is far beyond my novice capabilities.

This may be a good thing and will prevent me from delving too quickly into the online resources and programs that I wouldn't know how to use anyway !

Fools rush in, to coin a phrase...

Mike
SlateBlue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link may help you get the NeXT setup on your LAN. I don't think you have to mess with NetInfoManager. Though, you may need to add entries for DNS servers in resolv.conf.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/TjLs_Cable_Modem_Guide.pdf
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow:

All of the people I have encountered on this Forum have been so wonderfully generous with their time and advice.

Its a wonder I am not in even more over my head and totally lost trying to do stuff that will utterly confuse and baffle me. I'm fighting it.

I think that for now I'll just take baby steps and get more used to this NeXTStep system -- and figure a few more things out on my own by studying the NeXTStep User Guide and NeXTStep QuickStart Guide before I get myself in trouble.

Mike
t-rexky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Sir, one of the most important things is to set-up a user account that is not root so that you do not accidentally cause some damage...

Wink
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piotr:
I am being careful. You know it !
I have been warned ! U do not want to risk undoing your fine efforts.

Every time I log in I am logging into an account that has my name, not root, as the Name, and a password of my choosing as the Password.

You can bet that I will definitely not be using "root" as the login name ... not until I am a lot more confident than I am now and know what I am doing.

At this point I am being careful to not do anything except read the manuals on my Mac and use the NeXTStation to create and save changes a few text documents. And play pool.

I do have a couple of questions: Is there any benefit to upgrading the RAM from the 20 MB presently installed to 32 MB, considering the modest demands I will be making on it, and why are the capacitors still good in my NeXTStation after 26 years ??

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: