NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
SS5 Problems when installing NS 3.3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOOM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: SS5 Problems when installing NS 3.3 Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm trying to install NextStep 3.3 on my Sparcstation 5. It has a internal CDROM on SCSI ID 6 and a Seagate Cheetah (18XL ST318404LC 18.40 GB Ultra160 SCSI) disk on ID 3.
The disk is 18GB (which could be a problem?).

I'm following this guide and everything goes well until it starts preparing for installation.

It will print a bunch of errors such as:

mkdir: mnta: Read-only file system.
mkdir "mnta" failed, status 0x100
then swapon failed, no such file or dir ...
and a few other "no such file or dir"
At the end it will just quit the installation process.
Here's a screenshot:

I tried to install OpenBSD on the disk, and it worked great. OpenBSD partitioned the disk into 1gb partitions, so if NS used the first partitions on that disk and formatted them they should all be under 2GB. If it works that way.
I also tested 2 different NS 3.3 iso cds. The CD boots and everything seems ok until it actually starts to copy stuff to the disk.

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?
LOOM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned the ISO image to the CD directly. From what I read in here it seems like that is OK for the sun hardware.
I also tried to make a 1500 mb partition, then a swap for a couple hundred mb and I left the rest of the disk unpartitioned. I still got the same error.

I could probably edit the rc.cdrom file and let it partition the disk as mentioned here http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14658#14658
But I would need to burn the edited iso file again.

I'm not sure why it says the file is read only though, it should mount the partition as rw after formatting. Or isn't it formatting anything at all ?
The partition is originally a BSD fs, not nextstep, because I used openbsd to partition the disk. I cannot find any material saying I need to partition the disk to the nextstep fs on beforehand.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOM wrote:
I burned the ISO image to the CD directly. From what I read in here it seems like that is OK for the sun hardware.
I also tried to make a 1500 mb partition, then a swap for a couple hundred mb and I left the rest of the disk unpartitioned. I still got the same error.

I could probably edit the rc.cdrom file and let it partition the disk as mentioned here http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=14658#14658
But I would need to burn the edited iso file again.

I'm not sure why it says the file is read only though, it should mount the partition as rw after formatting. Or isn't it formatting anything at all ?
The partition is originally a BSD fs, not nextstep, because I used openbsd to partition the disk. I cannot find any material saying I need to partition the disk to the nextstep fs on beforehand.
I've used those drives on Intel for silicon chip manufacturing systems running NeXTstep 3.3 but it creates a bunch of smaller partitions which you mount by editing fstab . I would try using a 2 gb disk and see if the install takes .... Much easier for initial test run . Sparc 5's are supported just make sure it is the hops risc/ Sparc Iso and not the Intel/ 68k as well !
LOOM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disk died after a few weeks, so I ended up using a scsi2sd instead. I used a old scsi 1gb drive ID for the first 1gb sectors and it worked great.

But if NS3.3 crashed, disk 2 will end up corrupt and it seems like the disk check might corrupt some of the files on disk #2 when trying to fix it so it's not that reliable. The boot disk works great though.

Is it possible to kill X or drop to shell if NS hangs ?
I cannot click "log out" without the system hanging when trying to quit the desktop manager.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOOM wrote:
The disk died after a few weeks, so I ended up using a scsi2sd instead. I used a old scsi 1gb drive ID for the first 1gb sectors and it worked great.

But if NS3.3 crashed, disk 2 will end up corrupt and it seems like the disk check might corrupt some of the files on disk #2 when trying to fix it so it's not that reliable. The boot disk works great though.

Is it possible to kill X or drop to shell if NS hangs ?
I cannot click "log out" without the system hanging when trying to quit the desktop manager.

I'm not sure if this will work on Sparc but to drop to a shell on a NeXT STATION or Cube command ~ goes to a NeXT> and command ~ ~ goes to the nmi monitor. Best Regards Rob
mfny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro this thread but I am having this exact same problem on a SPARCstation 4.

I have no floppy drive, just an external CDROM so cant do the fix involving editing stuff on the boot floppy.

So what can I do to fix this ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Sun / HPPA Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: