NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
GMAIL is possible on NeXT systems!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This part should work fine:

11. Setup .msmtprc file

# vi .msmtprc

Insert the following:

account default
host smtp.gmail.com
from user@gmail.com
tls on
tls_trust_file ~/.certs/thawte.pem
auth on
port 587 <---- Make sure you note the Port 587 & not Port 25.
user user@gmail.com
password password

12. Secure .mstmprc

#chmod 0600 .msmtprc

13. Now setup up Mail.app

In the expert preferences of Mail.app change the mailer from /usr/lib/sendmail to /usr/local/bin/msmtp

Post your files or shoot me an email w/ them minus your passwords of course. I'll make sure they look ok.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ericj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
This part should work fine:

11. Setup .msmtprc file

# vi .msmtprc

Insert the following:

account default
host smtp.gmail.com
from user@gmail.com
tls on
tls_trust_file ~/.certs/thawte.pem
auth on
port 587 <---- Make sure you note the Port 587 & not Port 25.
user user@gmail.com
password password

12. Secure .mstmprc

#chmod 0600 .msmtprc

13. Now setup up Mail.app

In the expert preferences of Mail.app change the mailer from /usr/lib/sendmail to /usr/local/bin/msmtp

Post your files or shoot me an email w/ them minus your passwords of course. I'll make sure they look ok.

Wink

Oh, but 587 is Gmail's port. Or is this also the port for msmtp? I'm using this with my Verizon email, since I didn't feel like setting SSL certs up.

If you need the file, I can post it after I boot OPENSTEP up (I've upgraded) and retrieve it (it's in VMware, and I'm trying to get GNUstepWeb to work ATM).

Thanks,
Eric

P.S. I've got everything set up for the Verizon servers, fetchmail works fine (if a bit manual for me). msmtp is the only issue for me. Oh, and Verizon email doesn't use SSL by default, so that's not the problem.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, I understand now. Wink When you get a chance, just post your .msmtprc file & I'll glance over it. I'm sure I can help figure something Laughing I can help you setup postfix if needed. I have it compiled also quad fat, but need to archive it properly/package it up. It's a painless replacement for sendmail as well.

Also, if you're working w/ verizon & just pop3'ing your mail, PopOver.app would probably be better choice. I setup fetchmail initially because I use it for several email accounts & I didn't have stunnel ported yet. Once I got stunnel ported, I swapped back over to that for getting my gmail. You only need to get one cert then. Just the one required for msmtp. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ericj

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Config Reply with quote

OK, this is my config file (not a real password, of course, and the email is removed because I don't need more spam):

Code:
account default
host outgoing.verizon.net
from user@verizon.net
auth on
user user@verizon.net
password password

If there is something missing here, please tell me ASAP.

Thanks,
Eric
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Config Reply with quote

ericj wrote:
OK, this is my config file (not a real password, of course, and the email is removed because I don't need more spam):

Code:
account default
from user@verizon.net
auth on
user user@verizon.net
password password

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric,
Ok, from what I've read about Verizon.net's smtp servers, you do need to make sure your "From" header is set correctly in Mail.app as explained above. In your .msmtprc file, on the line user, drop the @verizon.net. Just use user username

If you look @ your console log, you should see some logs from msmtp. Look in /tmp /usr/adm/messages, etc. If that don't work, post the output of the errors. Also, one thing I didn't ask about your .fetchmailrc, did you include the set daemon line also?

Like this:
# set polling time (no less than 5 minutes as required by gmail)
set daemon 600

You shouldn't have to manually run fetchmail to check your email. It should keep running in the background till you kill it/reboot the system. Figured I'd ask. Let me know how it works. Take care.
ericj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Config Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
ericj wrote:

Code:
account default
from user@verizon.net
auth on
user user@verizon.net
password password

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric,
Ok, from what I've read about Verizon.net's smtp servers, you do need to make sure your "From" header is set correctly in Mail.app as explained above. In your .msmtprc file, on the line user, drop the @verizon.net. Just use user username

If you look @ your console log, you should see some logs from msmtp. Look in /tmp /usr/adm/messages, etc. If that don't work, post the output of the errors. Also, one thing I didn't ask about your .fetchmailrc, did you include the set daemon line also?

Like this:
# set polling time (no less than 5 minutes as required by gmail)
set daemon 600

You shouldn't have to manually run fetchmail to check your email. It should keep running in the background till you kill it/reboot the system. Figured I'd ask. Let me know how it works. Take care.

What I mean by manual is that I have to launch it myself when I log in. Oh, and yes, I do have the set daemon line. Fetchmail is working as I expected it to. Oh, and I had assumed from the Verizon Webmail login screen that POP3 & SMTP required the "@verizon.net" part. Guess not! :D

Thanks,
Eric
ericj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Errors Reply with quote

OK, these are the two lines that appear in console.log when I try to send mail from Mail.app:

Code:
msmtp: cannot use a secure authentication method
msmtp: could not send mail (account default from /Users/ejohns/.msmtprc)

I do not have SSL enabled.

Thanks,
Eric
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it seems since msmtp is compiled against SSL, it tries to authenticate first w/ TLS. change the auth line in you .msmtprc file to

auth plain or auth login

Here's the output of the server info for outgoing.verizon.net

bash-2.05b$ msmtp --host=outgoing.verizon.net --serverinfo
SMTP server at outgoing.verizon.net (outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]), port 25:
vms044pub.verizon.net -- Server ESMTP (Sun Java System Messaging Server 6.2-6.01 (built Apr 3 2006))
Capabilities:
SIZE 20971520:
Maximum message size is 20971520 bytes = 20.00 MB
PIPELINING:
Support for command grouping for faster transmission
ETRN:
Support for RMQS (Remote Message Queue Starting)
DSN:
Support for Delivery Status Notifications
AUTH:
Supported authentication methods:
PLAIN LOGIN
-bash-2.05b$

Again make sure you chmod 0600 ~/.msmtprc and your From Field is setup correctly in Mail.app. I don't see any other reasons why it don't work. Hit me up on AIM/MSN/Yahoo if you have more problems. If you want I can compile a version of msmtp w/out SSL for you as well, but the version you have should work fine.

msmtp --version
msmtp version 1.4.13
TLS/SSL library: OpenSSL
Authentication library: built-in
Supported authentication methods:
plain cram-md5 external login
IDN support: disabled
NLS: disabled
System configuration file name: /usr/local/etc/msmtprc
User configuration file name: /Users/kb7sqi/.msmtprc

Copyright (C) 2007 Martin Lambers and others.
This is free software. You may redistribute copies of it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
-bash-2.05b$
ericj

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

OK, it works now. Thanks for all your help!

Eric
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Cool Glad it works now! I was starting to get worried. Wink Take care.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've updated the post w/ up to date info on setting up fetchmail/msmtp for working w/ gmail, in case some see's this thread instead of bkmoore's thread requesting help w/ msmtp.

Steve
GCP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kb7sqi wrote:
I've updated the post w/ up to date info on setting up fetchmail/msmtp for working w/ gmail, in case some see's this thread instead of bkmoore's thread requesting help w/ msmtp.

Steve

Hi kb7sqi. Thanks for so thoroughly documenting this! One of my major goals with my new Cube is to be able to access/send email on it. Your posts here mention that we should reference certain documents that you've posted. Where are these posted? Thanks again for your help.
rooprob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: GMAIL is possible on NeXT systems! Reply with quote

Nothing like reawakening an old thread, but I have followed this stunnel/fetchmail/procmail/msmtp guide and have also enabled a modern mail experience.

Thumbs up.

Few points:
- modern ciphers DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA are really slow, so it's a locked down AES256-SHA from localhost only (the inside of the stunnel)
- stunnel seems to be leaking filehandles, as after an hour it hits max clients, however there's only one hitting it every 60seconds
- fetchmail attempts opportunistic SSL by default, so you end up with SSL inside stunnel
- my smtp server also requires SSL to do Auth, so you end up doubling SSL again.

Stepping down some of the TLS settings in my remote postfix dhparams, as well as the cipher choice has helped the NeXT machine come down from minutes of high CPU to almost 30% and a few seconds for the TLS handshaking.

I chose stunnel as ssh port redirection keeps dropping and I'm not 100% sure why - it could be local router rather than the ancient NeXT box and this version of SSH, but this version of SSH client doesn't know about client keepalives.

Anywho, the old software found in the Google Drive linked to within these threads, on OPENSTEP 4.2 m68k.

fetchmail-5.9.14.pkg.NIHS.tgz
msmtp-1.4.20.pkg.NIHS.tgz
openssh-3.6.1p2.pkg.NIHS.tgz
openssl-0.9.8za_zlib-1.2.8.pkg.NIHS.tgz
procmail-3.22.pkg.NIHS.tgz
stunnel-4.25.pkg.NIHS.tgz

PS I've tried and failed on my mission to build some oldish opensource on OPENSTEP. I'm not 100% sure my OPENSTEP deploy mirrors what people have said wrt to OPENSTEP 4.2 having *removed* POSIX support, and yet my stock compiler has -posix option, and the includes (/usr/include/bsd/sys/types.h etc) contain ifdefs around _POSIX_SOURCE and _KERNEL etc (esp for figuring out BYTE_ORDER. I have been trying to build MIT Kerberos to for an even better mail pipeline (solves PLAIN auth) but the only ancient version i got to build (1.3.x) doesn't behave writing any credential caches or kdc data files, so I suspect I have some POSIX file writing hackery to make. The more modern Krb want shared libraries, and I haven't learned how to best handle that on OS.

My next step will be to target building these exact package versions above, then incrementally improve on them, so I have a working model of what to do. kb7sql was so successful on building without -posix enabled, which I'm keen to emulate, however haven't figured out a single clean build yet - and at 33MHz takes a fair amount of time.

Anyways I've said enough words - just wanted to signal that there are still people doing crypto over traditional internet protocols on a vintage computer.

kb7sqi wrote:
Hi all,
In my continuing effort to make my systems more usable, I have successfully setup email w/ GMAIL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: