NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT Hitachi Color Monitor MegaPixel 21-inch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Classic Computer Marketplace
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skywindow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: NeXT Hitachi Color Monitor MegaPixel 21-inch Reply with quote

I have an original NeXT Hitachi Color Monitor and it works with my NeXTstation turbo color. I also have the 13w3 cable to VGA adapter that I use with an LCD monitor.

I'm thinking of parting with my NeXT Color Monitor since it is so big.

Is my NeXT computer setup worth more with this monitor, or do these old monitors impact the value of the complete setup in any way?

Back of monitor label information:

Model No. N4005A
(CM2197AS3NE)

May 1992
Serial No. ADB 92 00421
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: New they were ~ $5000 as I recall beware of shoulder separation , best to move with screen towards your midsection.
Current Value:
The Hitachi 21" NeXT Color Monitors do add value to an original setup , however they are obviously bulky and difficult to pack and ship at 85lbs. ,if at all possible it is easier to have them pickup ; To snip them I've used a 24" Double wall 350lb burst box with 1/2" bubbles 24" wide removing and wrapping the base and or even used expandable foam pack professionally done by UPS. Marked Fragile Delicate medical instrument , heavy with 2 person carry sticker, dropped them off at the main shipping depot insured and still had them destroyed in shipping. Flat Panels are so much easier ...

The original NeXT 21" Hitachi Shipping Box had a smaller footprint and molded foam inserts with handles but I've even had them damaged , these were lighter than the Sun 20" Monitors of old.

So in terms of value a Pristine 21" Monitor $249 or in average condition $99 to $149 on there own. Hope that helps. Flat panels are so much easier to move and space wise. Best regards Rob Blessin
tomaz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by parting you mean throwing it in the bin, I would encourage you not to. I am sure someone will be happy to take it off your hands, though shipping is difficult with these, so someone local would be better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scutboy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've see three of these monitors in my life, and own one. All three have cracked bezels/cases from being shipped.
barcher174

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's very likely you'll have to give the monitor away to get rid of it. (I did this even with my smaller one) You're going to need someone local. As others have said, shipping is almost impossible to get them in once piece, which means you could go negative just trying. The Monochrome monitors are worth more of a risk because they at least contain the sound board. Summary: That monitor is not likely to add to the value of the system. Offer it as an optional local pickup item.
pentium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be chucking it if it's especially working. In fact I'd probably be buying it off you if I did not already have the experience from shipping one some 5000km already.
Monitors like that require a legit decent size box and at least three Instapak bags. If someone wants the largest monitor NeXT ever offered I'll assume they'll know the price to move one.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
rey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Picture of a NeXT Hitachi Color Monitor MegaPixel 21-inch Reply with quote

I saw one of these at the NeXT Lab at the state university I went to back in the early 90s. I haven't seen one since, and Google yields no results.

Can anyone post pics of this NeXT monitor?

Thank you Smile
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of a NeXT Hitachi Color Monitor MegaPixel 21-inc Reply with quote

rey wrote:
I saw one of these at the NeXT Lab at the state university I went to back in the early 90s. I haven't seen one since, and Google yields no results.

Can anyone post pics of this NeXT monitor?

Thank you Smile

rey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Awesome! Reply with quote

Brings back memories!

But never saw 3 of them lined up in a row Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Classic Computer Marketplace All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: