NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org
 
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages

Log inLog in  RegisterRegister


Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What Needs to be done for a NeXT Emulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 587
Location: Ft. Collins, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling in the calvary as Previous and all of the talented NeXT developers will be helpful in contributing to this fun NeXT project http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4028&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= more ram and larger harddrive support!
Cool Best Regards Rob
_________________
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community since 2/9/93
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
andreas_g



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 413
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello eagle,

can you test if this patch fixes your NFS crashing issues or any other networking issues?

Rob, thank you for the like, but i'm afraid i can't help with that one.

Regards,
Andreas
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
eagle



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 389

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are in for a treat. Over the weekend, andreas_g and I worked on the NFS bug (my part was limited to helping him reproduce it), and he fixed it! It's pretty interesting that I was the only person hitting this one line of code.

Anyway, many thanks to andreas_g for sticking to it and fixing that bug! Previous will be immensely more useful to me now, because I now have the ability to read and write NFS shares. Since all systems in my home network use the NFS automounter (including NeXT VMs running in Previous), I now have the ability to share filesystems between all Previous VMs. This will make it easy to share things (both inbound and outbound) with NeXTstep/OPENSTEP running in Previous.

For those interested in setting up the NFS automounter in NS/OS, see my howto: http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3598
_________________
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andreas_g



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 413
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

i'm happy to announce the release of Previous v1.6! A binary for Mac OS X v10.9 and later can be loaded here.

The changes include the fix for the long standing slirp crashing bug that forum user eagle helped to track down. It also includes greatly improved FPU emulation, that is now much more accurate and platform independent for the most part. The full list of changes is as follows:
> Adds SoftFloat FPU emulation. Fixes FPU on non-x86 host platforms.
> Adds emulation of FPU arithmetic exceptions.
> Adds support for second magneto-optical disk drive.
> Fixes bug that caused a crash when writing to an NFS server.
> Fixes bug that prevented NeXTdimension from stopping in rare cases.
> Fixes bug that caused external i860 interrupts to be delayed.
> Fixes bug that prevented sound input under NeXTstep 0.8.
> Fixes bug that caused temporary speed anomalies after pausing.
> Improves dummy RAMDAC emulation.

Have fun with the new version of Previous! If you have any issues using it, please report them here.

You may have noticed that i have removed the link to the existing homepage from the readme. Obviously it was not maintained and did not reflect the state of development anymore. If anyone is interested in giving Previous a new home(page) please contact me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mikeboss



Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 365
Location: berne, switzerland

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:

i'm happy to announce the release of Previous v1.6! A binary for Mac OS X v10.9 and later can be loaded here.


DANKE! Cool
_________________
October 12, 1988 Computing Advances To The NeXT Level
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
eagle



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 389

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can host it. I'll get a virtual host set up tonight and then will post a download link.
_________________
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
t-rexky



Joined: 09 Jan 2011
Posts: 271
Location: Snowy Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb work Andreas, as always! I am truly delighted that you continue chipping at making Previous better! Or should I say making LaST better, because this is what I call it Very Happy

Thank you!


Last edited by t-rexky on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin


Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 587
Location: Ft. Collins, Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
Hello all,

i'm happy to announce the release of Previous v1.6! A binary for Mac OS X v10.9 and later can be loaded here.

The changes include the fix for the long standing slirp crashing bug that forum user eagle helped to track down. It also includes greatly improved FPU emulation, that is now much more accurate and platform independent for the most part. The full list of changes is as follows:
> Adds SoftFloat FPU emulation. Fixes FPU on non-x86 host platforms.
> Adds emulation of FPU arithmetic exceptions.
> Adds support for second magneto-optical disk drive.
> Fixes bug that caused a crash when writing to an NFS server.
> Fixes bug that prevented NeXTdimension from stopping in rare cases.
> Fixes bug that caused external i860 interrupts to be delayed.
> Fixes bug that prevented sound input under NeXTstep 0.8.
> Fixes bug that caused temporary speed anomalies after pausing.
> Improves dummy RAMDAC emulation.

Have fun with the new version of Previous! If you have any issues using it, please report them here.

You may have noticed that i have removed the link to the existing homepage from the readme. Obviously it was not maintained and did not reflect the state of development anymore. If anyone is interested in giving Previous a new home(page) please contact me.
Great work Andreas: I created a new directory so we can now download previous from our NeXT archives here http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/Previous68Kemulator/
_________________
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay sales@blackholeinc.com http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community since 2/9/93
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
eagle



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 389

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I threw together a new website for Previous.

http://previous.unixdude.net

I don't know much about WordPress, but it seemed the easiest thing to set up quickly.

All feedback welcome. Constructive feedback and positive comments preferred. Cool
_________________
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andreas_g



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 413
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the nice words! It is still fun to work on this project.

@t-rexky:
Previous is the name that Gilles gave the project when he started it. LaST is of course nice because of its 4 character length. But it is not the exact antonym of NeXT. Therefore and because we can re-use the lower case letter "e" I prefer Previous (PReV).

@eagle:
Thank you very much for the quick efforts on making a new homepage! I really love the front page with the NeXT poster!
But (yeah, it is finally me making a "feature request" Wink ):
I'm not a friend of the blog-style layout. I was more thinking about a classic layout with sections. I suggest a front section including a short description on what Previous is, some kind of status report and one or two screenshots. A second section could contain news and a third section could host downloads of source code, binaries for different platforms and release notes. Last but not least it could make sense to include a section with build instructions and a note that we are looking for coders to help further improving Previous.
If you decide to go that way and you need specific information or text blocks I can provide those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
t-rexky



Joined: 09 Jan 2011
Posts: 271
Location: Snowy Canada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I completely understand Andreas. I had a brief chat about this with Gilles in the past as well. I am not suggesting the name is changed at all - it's just what I call it personally, the LaST and final NeXT Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagle



Joined: 29 Mar 2006
Posts: 389

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
Thank you very much for the quick efforts on making a new homepage! I really love the front page with the NeXT poster!
But (yeah, it is finally me making a "feature request" Wink ):
I'm not a friend of the blog-style layout. I was more thinking about a classic layout with sections. I suggest a front section including a short description on what Previous is, some kind of status report and one or two screenshots. A second section could contain news and a third section could host downloads of source code, binaries for different platforms and release notes. Last but not least it could make sense to include a section with build instructions and a note that we are looking for coders to help further improving Previous.
If you decide to go that way and you need specific information or text blocks I can provide those.


I don't like the blog style layout either. If anyone has any suggestions of another content management system, I'm happy to try out another one. I don't know WordPress very well, and while I know there are ways to make WordPress not look like a blog, I'm not sure how to do that.
_________________
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andreas_g



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 413
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@eagle:
Thank you for you efforts! We are not in a hurry. But on the long term I think it makes sense to have a proper homepage. People tend to think that software loaded from some forum or blog tends to be either faulty or malware. Previous definitely deserves a better image.

@t-rexky:
The LaST NeXT Very Happy From that perspective the name definitely makes sense. An emulator can never replace the feeling of using real black hardware. But it can help to preserve NeXT software beyond the lifespan of the hardware. So at some (hopefully far away) point in the future, when all hardware has failed, it might really become the last NeXT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
t-rexky



Joined: 09 Jan 2011
Posts: 271
Location: Snowy Canada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which, did you ever get a real in-the-flesh NeXT?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
andreas_g



Joined: 30 Jan 2009
Posts: 413
Location: Austria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never owned a NeXT machine. My first computer was an iMac G3 bondi blue (the very first iMac). I often used Mac emulators to run pre-OS X software. Therefore i know that the experience using an emulator is quite different compared to real hardware. It may sound funny, but I think what makes for example SheepShaver feel strange is its excessive speed or "snappiness" and the lack of sounds (e.g. clicking of hard disk drive). Probably the lack of CRT unsharpness is another factor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 72 of 77

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2017 phpBB Group