NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What Needs to be done for a NeXT Emulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
andreas_g wrote:
Thank you very much for the quick efforts on making a new homepage! I really love the front page with the NeXT poster!
But (yeah, it is finally me making a "feature request" Wink ):
I'm not a friend of the blog-style layout. I was more thinking about a classic layout with sections. I suggest a front section including a short description on what Previous is, some kind of status report and one or two screenshots. A second section could contain news and a third section could host downloads of source code, binaries for different platforms and release notes. Last but not least it could make sense to include a section with build instructions and a note that we are looking for coders to help further improving Previous.
If you decide to go that way and you need specific information or text blocks I can provide those.

I don't like the blog style layout either. If anyone has any suggestions of another content management system, I'm happy to try out another one. I don't know WordPress very well, and while I know there are ways to make WordPress not look like a blog, I'm not sure how to do that.

If you think we can migrate the authoritative source code repository over to github, I'll set up an organization account (still free) and we can host the site as github pages. Both source code and the web site can live as separate repositories under the same account.
andreas_g

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't plan to migrate the source code to another platform. I think sourceforge theoretically also has the ability to host web pages!?
btw. it seems previous.com and previous.org are currently unused Wink
This is not high priority at the moment and I do not want to use too much time for it.

My plans for near future are as follows:
- Set up networking under NeXTstep 0.8 and 0.9 and complete the networking instructions. See this thread: http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4080
- Complete SoftFloat FPU emulation by translating FPSP routines for FSIN, FCOS, FETOX, FLOGN, etc.
Kitchen2010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just updated my wikipage entry (http://com-emu.pixub.com/doku.php/emulator/previous) for Previous v0.6. I have collected there all the information and screenshots of the whole development of Previous so far. If you want create a new homepage for the Previous emulator (github or something else), you may copy the wikipage content.
eagle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the site I threw together. Let me know what you think.

http://previous.unixdude.net/

I stole one of Kitchen2010's screenshots.... I hope that was okay. Smile
All mono
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: Eagle The Previous Website Looks Good!
tomaz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I run Previous 1.6, it crashes immediately. If I run it from shell, the following happens
Code:
% ./Previous
Segmentation fault
I can run Previous 1.5 OK. I am on Mac OS X.6.8. I assume this may be because it would have been built on a later version of Mac OS X?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomaz wrote:
If I run Previous 1.6, it crashes immediately. If I run it from shell, the following happens
Code:
% ./Previous
Segmentation fault
I can run Previous 1.5 OK. I am on Mac OS X.6.8. I assume this may be because it would have been built on a later version of Mac OS X?
I just tested Previous 1.6 on an I5 Mini running Sierra 10.12.4 , it works.
tomaz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - is there a way for me to make it work on Snow Leopard 10.6.8, though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomaz, your guess is right. I was too lazy to build for early versions of Mac OS X. I didn't expect that these versions are still used.

I made a new build for Mac OS X, which should now run on Mac OS X v10.6.8 and later. No functional changes, just re-built from same source code revision. You can load it here.

eagle, maybe you can update the file on the homepage. btw. Thank you for updating the page with the new text and and screenshots! The new page looks good on my iPhone. But it has some problems if the window/display is too narrow (e.g. holding the phone vertically) and does not work on my Mac using OmniWeb (yes, still sticking to good old OmniWeb).
eagle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
I know I keep asking for the world, but would it be possible to have Previous run a VNC server or RDC server to which we could connect remotely? Very Happy

Apparently I asked about this 3 years ago, but I didn't see a response.

Is it possible to provide a VNC or RDP server inside Previous to present the NeXT's framebuffer? We already have the framebuffer (Previous shows the window), I'm simply asking if it would be possible to present the same framebuffer via VNC or RDP.

I'm envisioning something like the way VMware Fusion and VirtualBox provide remote access to the virtual machine.
All mono
tomaz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
I made a new build for Mac OS X, which should now run on Mac OS X v10.6.8 and later.
Thank you very much, that's super! It now runs.

But it crashes when I try to boot from the NextStep 3.0 floppy with the following message. However, running older versions of Previous, they seem to crash too.
Code:
[Floppy] Reset.
[Floppy] Disable pending reset poll interrupt
[Floppy] Specify: DMA mode
[Floppy] Invalid data rate 03
[Floppy] Geometry error: Blocksize not supported (3)!
[Floppy] Geometry error: Blocksize not supported (3)!
Segmentation fault
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagle wrote:
eagle wrote:
I know I keep asking for the world, but would it be possible to have Previous run a VNC server or RDC server to which we could connect remotely? Very Happy

Apparently I asked about this 3 years ago, but I didn't see a response.

Is it possible to provide a VNC or RDP server inside Previous to present the NeXT's framebuffer? We already have the framebuffer (Previous shows the window), I'm simply asking if it would be possible to present the same framebuffer via VNC or RDP.

I'm envisioning something like the way VMware Fusion and VirtualBox provide remote access to the virtual machine.

Sure LibVNC!

Although working out how it properly works was a bit involved, but I did get UAE to run halfway correctly with libvnc....
eagle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
eagle, maybe you can update the file on the homepage. btw. Thank you for updating the page with the new text and and screenshots! The new page looks good on my iPhone. But it has some problems if the window/display is too narrow (e.g. holding the phone vertically) and does not work on my Mac using OmniWeb (yes, still sticking to good old OmniWeb).

If anyone knows how to fix the page for OmniWeb, please send me changes and I'll incorporate them. I don't know HTML/CSS well enough to know what's wrong there. Also, for some reason the menu button (the 3 horizontal lines) doesn't show up on the iPhone.

Also, I finally got to update the file on the website; sorry that took so long.
All mono
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the newest builds be compiled on linux using the instructions referenced in the link below?

http://previous.alternative-system.com/index.php/build

Is there a .deb available or possibly even a PPA for previous to make things even easier?
andreas_g

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nextchef: I think it should it should be possible to just use Cmake to build under Linux (you might need some libraries as pre-requisites, at least libpng and libsdl2). Just go to Previous main directory (where the readme is) and use #cmake . and then #make

@all: I have implemented all transcendental functions by translating FPSP algorithms to SoftFloat routines. I'd like to see the difference to a real 68882 (FPSP is known to produce different results than real hardware). Can someone with a 68030 Cube run these test programs? Just run them from the command line and they will print the results. Please copy the results to a text file and send them to me.
Tomaz might also post some test programs soon with the aim to reverse the internal CORDIC algorithm of the 68882. If successful, that will lead to 100% exact 68882 emulation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 73 of 74

Jump to: