NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hard disk suggestion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexloo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Hard disk suggestion Reply with quote

Hi, I have a NeXTstation with a dead hard disk. What suggestions would you have for replacement? I'm not sure I have the spare cash for a SCSI2SD right now. Thanks.
paolo.bertolo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCSI2SD is indeed the best option you have. Compatible, legacy hard drives are way harder to find and more expensive.
hexloo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paolo.bertolo wrote:
SCSI2SD is indeed the best option you have. Compatible, legacy hard drives are way harder to find and more expensive.

Welp, I guess this machine will be out of commission for a while. Razz
bobo68

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in general with Paolo. Long term you need something like SCSI2SD. But you can find cheaper HDDs if you take your time and do not fall for the profiteurs. You will not find reasonable prices on eBay. Have a look at local/regional classifieds.

I'd go for the most unfancy 50-pin SCSI drive. The fancier (like wide SCSI with adaptor) the more problems can arise.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello: You can usually find 68 or 80 pin drives some of them are in decent condition and they work with an adapter and terminator . The 50 pin drives are usually more expensive. Let me know your budget and where you are located and I'll make you a screaming deal as a forum member>$50 and shipping, it'll work as I'll load it up with NeXTSTEP or Openstep as some times the installs are tricky. For example , I have some decent 9.1 gb Compaq Drives that are 80 pin , these are fall backs in case people don't want the scsi2sd's, I think I paid about $25 a drive and the adapters where around $10 , so if you are good with $50 which covers my time and paypal takes a chunk LOL and shipping in the US $10 let me know so $60 total.
~ International $25 . It sets up a 2gb and a bunch of 1gb partitions. I would normally sell this one for $99 as I need to eat LOL but I hat to see your station down man so I'll sacrifice my snackage. Also when dealing with used scsi hard drives it is a nightmare .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: