NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
"How do I get my NeXT Cube to run Plan 9"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Venture37

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: "How do I get my NeXT Cube to run Plan 9" Reply with quote

http://www.fywss.com/plan9/info/next.html
neozeed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked on those plan9 sources, if it's like the Resarch Unix v9, it may have vendor specific platform code, IE the SUN-3 version sure looks like it has SunOS SUN-3 hardware code.......
cuby

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neozeed wrote:
I asked on those plan9 sources, if it's like the Resarch Unix v9, it may have vendor specific platform code, IE the SUN-3 version sure looks like it has SunOS SUN-3 hardware code.......

Hm, at least there seems to be no hint as to NeXT copyrights in the Plan 9 NeXT sources - of course, the Bell Labs guys might have had a license for the NeXTstep kernel source code (which AFAIK you could purchase in the early days of NeXT). For reference, my copy of the NeXT Plan 9 sources can be found at http://multicores.org/plan9.tar.gz - I never tried to compile them so far, not sure if these are actually complete. There seems to be some version control garbage included in the tar files which I left in.

-- Michael
neozeed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skimmed through the plan9 source, and wow it's so baren... although there are comments it feels like someone had printed source next to them and was forced to re-type by hand what is there.....

Interesting all the 68020 stuff, and the few mentions of NeXT. I haven't tried to compile it yet, I'm still more in amazement of how far I got with Rhaposdy 5.3/Darwin 0.1 and how much work it's going to be to either hammer that driver framework back into 0.1 or the kenel up to 0.2 ........
multi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the NeXT sources for plan9 were in the 2nd edition, and the 2nd edition licensing wasnt open to allow hosting it or making it available, etc. You had to purchase a license from bell labs.

For whatever reason those NeXT sources were pulled in 3rd and 4th edition.

I believe I do have plan9 2nd edition, but it's in my archive of unorganized crap from the 90's..Ive been meaning to go through and organize that stuff (Im still looking for my old copy of BMRT..!!).

Anyway, just noting that w/o 2nd edition you wont get anywhere.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multi wrote:
the NeXT sources for plan9 were in the 2nd edition, and the 2nd edition licensing wasnt open to allow hosting it or making it available, etc. You had to purchase a license from bell labs.

For whatever reason those NeXT sources were pulled in 3rd and 4th edition.

I believe I do have plan9 2nd edition, but it's in my archive of unorganized crap from the 90's..Ive been meaning to go through and organize that stuff (Im still looking for my old copy of BMRT..!!).

Anyway, just noting that w/o 2nd edition you wont get anywhere.

As always, any ancient artifacts that even include source are appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Porting New Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: