NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What Needs to be done for a NeXT Emulator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ardi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightengale wrote:
am i missing a library?
Possible causes:

-You're trying to run the executable from a MacOS version older than the deployment version it was built for.
or
-The executable is built linking with XQuartz libraries, and your XQuartz version is older than the one itomato has.
or
-The executable was built linking with libraries compiled in a separate directory but it was linked against dynamic libs rather than static ones, and such dynamic libs are not present in the shipped bundle.

IMHO, the best procedure for building and distributing apps is:

1-Try to set your deployment version as low as you can.

2-Try to be sure you don't link against libraries that are in your Mac because XQuartz put them there (XQuartz is being quite aggressive these years in continuously being updated to the newest lib versions, which breaks backwards compatibility with older XQuartz versions). So, make a good check that your link line isn't taking any lib from XQuartz.

3-Never, under no circumstance, never link your app bundle with dynamic libs that are not shipped with MacOS. Always build all additional libraries static, and be sure you link with their static version. If your app bundle is not open source, check licenses because GNU licenses can be a problem with linking static libs.

Following these 3 steps, your app bundles should run in all Macs whose MacOS version is equal or higher than the deployment version you build for.
itomato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing libpng (with Homebrew) should get it running.

I made a new DMG in Xcode that should address the linking issue.

Available here: https://github.com/itomato/Previous-DMG/releases/latest
blackbeauty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good!
Unfortunately it requires 10.12 and I'm stuck with 10.11.6...
Is there any chance to recompile it for El Capitan?

Thanks a lot for your efforts!
jvernet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

One question: do you have network/slirp working in 64 bits build of Previous ?

I'm trying to make BASILISK II/slirp work with 64 bits build, but no way....

BASILISK is also very outdated for CPU core, they need help from people who know (not me....).
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,

i have a little bug fix release of Previous. It removes a useless option from the keyboard menu that only caused problems (host keyboard repeat). It fixes a bug that caused FPU ROM constants to be slightly off and adds some undocumented constants. Finally it fixes a bug in the timing system that could cause Previous to get stuck in variable speed mode.

You can load Previous v1.8 for Mac OS X v10.6 and later here.

I hope everyone enjoys the new release.

Best wishes,

Andreas
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Yahoo Reply with quote

I booted into the ROM monitor, please don't ask me how, now I am monkeying around trying to fully boot up. Very Happy
eagle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas_g wrote:
Hello all,

i have a little bug fix release of Previous. It removes a useless option from the keyboard menu that only caused problems (host keyboard repeat). It fixes a bug that caused FPU ROM constants to be slightly off and adds some undocumented constants. Finally it fixes a bug in the timing system that could cause Previous to get stuck in variable speed mode.

You can load Previous v1.8 for Mac OS X v10.6 and later here.

I hope everyone enjoys the new release.

Best wishes,

Andreas

Hi Andreas. I have added it to my website at previous.unixdude.net with information on 1.8. I need to get back to Previous/NeXT and play around with it some more. I've been too busy with other things lately.
All mono
Nightengale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Previous Reply with quote

I think I am beginning to understand the genius of the Previous emulator and it's authors. It seems that now I have a functioning NeXT computer running inside of my macbook. It is quite amazing. How to build something from nothing, or little bits of something here and there and create a virtual computer inside of another computer. Mind boggling. I have a newly born virgin NeXT motorola based computer. I can't see it, but it is hiding inside of another computer. Amazing. Perhaps I need to load an operating system on it just like I would as any other NeXT computer using floppy disks and the CDs which I will work on trying to get around the fact I don't have a floppy disk drive on my macbook.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I stand on the shoulders of those who stood before me (and are still standing) I am playing Astroloids on my mid 2012 macbook under Previous. Wahoo! Thank you for all the incredible, amazing work!
Kitchen2010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the Wiki entry @"http://com-emu.pixub.com/doku.php/emulator/previous" for the Previous emulator regarding the fixes and changes for the v1.8!

Once again thanks for keeping up the great work on this emulator! Smile
andreas_g

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvernet wrote:
One question: do you have network/slirp working in 64 bits build of Previous ?

I'm trying to make BASILISK II/slirp work with 64 bits build, but no way....

Yes, I am using a version of SLIRP that works with 64 bit systems. I used the version from Basilisk II with a 64 bit patch, also made for Basilisk II. I think it was this one: https://github.com/cebix/macemu/pull/55. I made some NeXT specific changes to SLIRP and fixed one crashing bug.

jvernet wrote:

BASILISK is also very outdated for CPU core, they need help from people who know (not me....).

Maybe people from Hatari community can help. They have experiences using WinUAE CPU core. Previous also uses that CPU core, but i am not specifically talented with porting code to other projects. It was easier for Previous, because it is based on Hatari and in its early days it was very similar. Over time differences became quite big and there is not very much Hatari code in Previous anymore.

Nightengale wrote:

As I stand on the shoulders of those who stood before me (and are still standing) I am playing Astroloids on my mid 2012 macbook under Previous. Wahoo! Thank you for all the incredible, amazing work!

I'm glad Previous found another user Very Happy
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: Nice work Andreas , I uploaded Previous 1.8 to our archives here http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/Previous68Kemulator/ Best Regards Rob
nuss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear fellow NeXT users,
today I compiled previous-code-842-trunk from https://sourceforge.net/p/previous/code/HEAD/tree/ on my Linux box and it tells me to be version 1.7.
Can please somebody point me to the correct location of the source code for version 1.8 ?
Many thanks Smile
andreas_g

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuss wrote:
Dear fellow NeXT users,
today I compiled previous-code-842-trunk from https://sourceforge.net/p/previous/code/HEAD/tree/ on my Linux box and it tells me to be version 1.7.
Can please somebody point me to the correct location of the source code for version 1.8 ?
Many thanks Smile

I forgot to merge the changes to trunk. You can find the latest code here: https://sourceforge.net/p/previous/code/HEAD/tree/branches/branch_softfloat/
nuss

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Andreas, the branch seems to work fine in short testing sessions on Debian 8 (32 bit) and Debian 9 (64bit) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77
Page 77 of 77

Jump to: