NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
How do I format a Micro SD card for use with scsi2sd devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: How do I format a Micro SD card for use with scsi2sd devices Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: Specifically Version 6 ...the battle I have going with this version of the card it is personal at this point lol

There are 3 versions of Microsd SCSI2 Cards

Version 5. DD Works , I have it down this is the thread you need for version 5 http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3737&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Version 6 ..... I'm trying to figure out how the heck I did this before as it can't be this difficult.

Version 5.1 the newest version DD Works , only a few quirks

Here is the problem most SCSI SD Cards especially EXTREME PRO CARDS are now only available in 16Gb or 32GB so NeXT does not handle anything above 2 gb partitions .

I'm trying to figure out how to simply do a fresh install on any of them on a NeXT 68K box using a boot floppy and scsi cdrom drive. It says the SD Card is not formatted , how do I format the scsi sd card to be NeXT compliant .....

Version 5 , I've been using DD and terminal app on OS X to copy an existing image , works great in under 5 minutes.

VERSION 6 :

I guess the question should be, do we format a 16Gb or 32Gb Card on the Card Reader > using disk utility under MAC OSX ?
or
The Version 6 MICROSD Card itself as you can write to it directly but it spawns errors . I've noticed using DD it is always 1 file short if I try to dd an image to the card , same image that works on 5.0 and 5.1

All I want to do is set up a 2gb drive partition that is seen on any NeXT hardware version without error's , it can't be this hard. I had it working which is why this is maddening to me I can't seem to replicate what I did .

May be it is because I'm using a Cube, I'll try a Turbo Color.... Any help appreciated.

I might try a low level format as it looks like it works with 2940 so in theory if I make 2 or 4 gb partitions and spoof the SEAGATE ST!%!%)N Drive maybe it will low level format the partitions , then on the neXT side it will see them ...... I'll lt you know off to golf.

Last edited by Rob Blessin Black Hole on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
barcher174

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the scsi2sd software you can set firmware limits per drive. It will look to the next like there are multiple physical disks in the system. Just make multiple 8gb drives and then let the OS make multiple partitions on the drive.
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello NeXT Community: VERSION 6 so it shows it is working here

https://github.com/trodemaster/next

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4215&highlight=codesrc

I'm laughing because I can not replicate this after weeks of trying WTF .

I used the Version 6 Card , I'm wondering if it is the REV of the Card as I have C and it is up to F causing the issue?

It has the latest version of firmware 6.1.3

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk3
Unmount of all volumes on disk3 was successful

MY SD CARD ...... When I use my mac to DD directly to the Card that is in the Version 6 Micro Sd!
Obviously an error .....

SUDO DD if=/file.iso of=/dev/rdisk1 BS=1M

Input/output error
8192+0 records in
8191+1 records out

When I take the SD out of the version 6 and put it in a card reader and then do dd NO ERROR
60774+0 records in
60774+0 records out
15931539456 bytes transferred in 7359.219767 secs (2164841 bytes/sec)

This image works again and again on Version 5.0 and version 5.1 cards using 16GB Micro SD's

I understand the firmware for 5.0 and 5.1 and updating the firmware and using XML file to update the drive parameters for our sd card 512 byte, 139 sectors and 4 tracks .... setting 2gb partitions as that is the maximum understood by NeXTSTEP to support multiple drive formats adding them in XML having successfully done hundreds of them using DD on version 5 cards. check check check ....

This is about VERSION 6 cards only as the above recipe is broken by different software and hard ware ?

The XML configuration files are similar , I copy and pasted Trodemasters XML file saved it and uploaded it to the device CODE SRC Version 6 device
#######################

I'm using a Color Turbo , new floppy drive, known good working cdrom disk and a 2Gb Seagate drive fresh install of 3.3 , all these work great ...

Also known good scsi cables , does this cause the problem , perhaps a non standard scsi cable

properly terminated , I think both ends are terminated as you set termination on the card .

Power splitter and powering up the Version 6 using the cable and for good measure the 4pin floppy connector

Lets unpack the Version 6 SCSI2Code SRC Drive ,

I know I am far from alone on frustration with it, let's unravel this madness , I'm just trying to solve it as I actually had it working before that is what is making this exponentially more frustrating.

This thread may help me http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3899&highlight=format ....

The key seems to be matching sectors , I'm using a 1 Gb disk just to get it to bloody work lol ..... so it looks like I have to make NeXT's rom happy or it doesn't take as it can't see the size of the SD.......

So now I'm going to try and match Trodemaster's XML File to match the MicroSD disk i i i it can't be this hard.

This is about Version 6 Cards ONLY .... a few people have it working , the chosen ones. We are not you please enlighten us of GURU with your magic.

*********** I have my Fresh 1GB Card I figure lets do baby friggin steps as how hard can it possibly be to FORMAT a 1Gb microsd card so that NeXT see's it lol

WHERE DO I FORMAT THE CARD? , when I try doing it through scsi disk utilities it does not work , it formats it but not in a format NeXT recognizes

I tried all the options .

Do I format it in a Card Reader using Terminal and DD or some other command , what do I use to write a lable and format that NeXT will understand on a mac? Is it even possible or do I need Linux?

So if I have a 16Gb drive how do I make a 1Gb partition that NeXT sees and get it to ignore the rest of the drive.

Brian It won't format the 8Gb split in 2 with 4 2gb partitions each , I've tried unless I'm doing something wrong.

The problem is anytime you have an UNFORMATTED drive the NeXT install won't start until it is FORMATTED and aborts it

How the heck does anyone simply format an SD, micro sd or compact flash drive to be NeXT compatible...... formatting is different from initializing the drive

So this project

I have a 1Gb micro SD in hand

I have a Mac Mini and Terminal window and a Card reader ....

Under Disk Utility on the mac offers many ways to format the drive DOS, MAC , ETC ..... I've tried them all , it appears to initialize them on the Mac side but shows as unformatted on the NeXT side ...... my guess is there is a way in terminal to format an sd disk on the mac to be NeXT formatted, I also tried seagte adaptec tools no joy.

Also tried DD images that work on 5 and 5.1 , they don't work on 6. Also tried DDing a previous drive image

DO I format it in any way first what am I missing

Firmware is 6.1.3

I have tried this every which way and 20 times on Sunday . To make it as easy as humanly possible I have a 1Gb microsd and a Version 6 Card What do I do to get the boot floppy and cdrom drive to see the Micro sd .

Also tried tricking it by giving it the Seagate string as suggested in the XML file.

http://store.inertialcomputing.com/SCSI2SD-v6-p/scsi2sd-v6-revf.htm
wa2flq

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

A few thoughts.

You should not need to "format" the microSD card under OSX or Linux. By "format", I mean the low level disk format.

I believe that the V6 card is not reporting the correct size to NeXT. On the V6 cards the configuration of the emulated disks is located on the microSD card itself, not on the SCSI2SD device. The last block on the microSD is used. So I suspect when you copy the images over, you are overwriting the configuration of disks and sizes at the end.

You should be able to check the configuration by downloading it from the V6 card.

If you have a known image that boots on the V5 cards and is only 2GB suggest the following.

1) Configure the V6 card and microSD for the correct sizes (including necessary sector and track sizes)

2) Copy using DD as before but limit the number of blocks to size of the partition. I don't remember the edge cases for sizing 2GB, but say if you use a count=4194310 (assumes bs=512) that includes a few extra blocks. That won't be enough to overwrite the configuration area the V6 cards look at.

There are other ways to deal with this, but try the above and see if you get the same error message as before.

Good luck,
Jerry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: