NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Is there anyway of using OpenStep on x64 hardware.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zerohour

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Is there anyway of using OpenStep on x64 hardware. Reply with quote

Hi,

Obviously OpenStep can be run in a VM but I was wondering if it was possible to run on more modern hardware.

I have a Celeron with 8GB of RAM and a SATA 500GB Hard drive. It has a 520GT NVIDIA card. Sitting idle and would be cool to run OpenStep on such.

Now sure I could run Linux with GnuStep to get the look and feel but it would be nice to run the actual OS even if it means patching a lot of stuff which it would no doubt need.

Can it be done?
NeXTnewbe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be better to have a VM and run OpenStep on that, Celeron is a newer technology and the BIOS is modern so the OS will not run on those systems

you might be able to run it on a old 486 or 386 and maybe Pentium processors
wa2flq

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing it ever run on a 386.

I have run Openstep 4.2 on a Pentium II /450 Mhz and 384 Mbytes of ram. Past 512Mb you might have issues, but during boot you can limit the memory used.

I have not run it on newer hardware, but provided you meet the other hardware requirements, it probably will run on other 32 bit Pentium. You need PS2 support and IDE limits your disk partitions. SCSI is more flexible.

See this thread for some information - https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=472940
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> NEXTSTEP / OPENSTEP Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: