NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Modern Soundbox Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drakar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Modern Soundbox Replacement Reply with quote

I've been working on this for quite a while and finally have a working prototype to show:

Yep, that's a soundbox made out of modern parts! Ignore the wires, they're just breaking out all of the connections for testing.
It handles ADB and non-ADB keyboards for whatever the system can support (ADB systems are happy to use non-ADB hardware) and will convert mono video to VGA. It also deals with the sound protocol (though there's no sound output... yet) so as far as the system is concerned the sound works fine and the system test passes.

So far I've tested it on mono and color slabs, a turbo color using non-ADB and ADB, and a cube.

I still need to write up the protocol details and will post those later.
nuss

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting & cool project, I like it!
Please keep up your good work Very Happy
barcher174

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! How did you handle the synchronous UART? Bit banging?
drakar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an FPGA to handle the communication. It's a really different approach than what I was used to but is super powerful and can easily handle the high speed data.
krazycat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome project! keep us informed of progress Cool
Rob Blessin Black Hole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also deals with the sound protocol (though there's no sound output... yet) so as far as the system is concerned the sound works fine and the system test passes.

>>>>> Would it be possible to add powered speakers and powered microphone / headphone jacks ? I know with the regular sound cards you can by pass the internal speaker and micro phone plugging into the ports .

Amazing work , would it also be possible to add a switch for USB KB/ MS Support in emulation
as this amazing widget may be able to bypass the proprietary NeXT Sound Box , Keyboard and Mice Interface which for me would be huge as I have a ton of original NeXT Motherboards , power supplies and floppies.... in Theory a Custom NeXTStation Slab Case could be 3d printed or current case slightly modded where that fits under the hood and on cubes it mounts to a filler slat. We have the new capacitors , and Version 5.1 PCB's ....... just need the vampire over the 68040 / fpga reality distrortionater to kick it all into high gear or the Cube Intel Expansion board.
The I860 Intel Chips on the Dimensions were highly programmable, I wonder if any of the NeXT engineers tinkered with designing a Pentium Expansion board for the Cube .... as the NeXTstep 486 Pentium , HPPA Risc and Sparc software breakout ports shut down the hardware production path that was going towards Risc , they could have in theory made one more motherboard upgrade for Cube owners Intel or may be we still can.... especially taking a gander at what they are doing modding the retro Amiga side ..... we shall see.
drakar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is possible but much more complicated, I'm working on one that has a speaker and headphone jack.
It should be possible to add USB as well, the only problem with adding all of these features is that it gets bigger and costs more. Maybe I'll do a mega-deluxe version with everything on it and a smaller kb-only version.
gtnicol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barcher174 wrote:
Awesome! How did you handle the synchronous UART? Bit banging?

In my hacking, I was bit-banging with a fast microprocessor. Shame to have a CPU that can emulate the main machine doing that...
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Blessin Black Hole wrote:
It also deals with the sound protocol (though there's no sound output... yet) so as far as the system is concerned the sound works fine and the system test passes.

>>>>> Would it be possible to add powered speakers and powered microphone / headphone jacks ? I know with the regular sound cards you can by pass the internal speaker and micro phone plugging into the ports .

Amazing work , would it also be possible to add a switch for USB KB/ MS Support in emulation
as this amazing widget may be able to bypass the proprietary NeXT Sound Box , Keyboard and Mice Interface which for me would be huge as I have a ton of original NeXT Motherboards , power supplies and floppies.... in Theory a Custom NeXTStation Slab Case could be 3d printed or current case slightly modded where that fits under the hood and on cubes it mounts to a filler slat. We have the new capacitors , and Version 5.1 PCB's ....... just need the vampire over the 68040 / fpga reality distrortionater to kick it all into high gear or the Cube Intel Expansion board.
The I860 Intel Chips on the Dimensions were highly programmable, I wonder if any of the NeXT engineers tinkered with designing a Pentium Expansion board for the Cube .... as the NeXTstep 486 Pentium , HPPA Risc and Sparc software breakout ports shut down the hardware production path that was going towards Risc , they could have in theory made one more motherboard upgrade for Cube owners Intel or may be we still can.... especially taking a gander at what they are doing modding the retro Amiga side ..... we shall see.

So this is an interesting and somewhat related project. Someone took all the circuitry of an original Mac Plus and pulled it all in so it could be downloaded to an FPGA:

https://www.bigmessowires.com/2015/10/22/plus-too-mac-replica-new-progress/

I would imagine we might be able to eventually do the same thing for NeXT hardware. Dump it all down into a single FPGA.

Oh yea, and Kudos! This is such a great project!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: