NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What's your best Black Hardware purchase?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brams

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

memson wrote:
This is the card I reflashed successfully with a Mac ROM and used in my 9500 for about 6 months, and the card (well, t was another physical card as I used to own 2 of these) with the original PC BIOS ROM that works with my PR2 boot ROM.

Matt

Did you ever try and use the Mil II in the BeBox with the PPC Mac BIOS?, if so did it work and why did you keep it in with the PC BIOS?
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
http://idisk.mac.com/brams-Public/Matrox/Flasher1.31.sit

I tried to flash mine on my G4 and it didn't like it, not sure if it was OS 9.2.2 it did'nt like or the G4 so I did it in a 7500 using Mac OS 8.1 or 8.5.

OK, i have now purchased a 7300/200 for 1,50 EUR from eBay only for flashing the card Smile. I will let you know if all works fine.
brams

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
brams wrote:
http://idisk.mac.com/brams-Public/Matrox/Flasher1.31.sit

I tried to flash mine on my G4 and it didn't like it, not sure if it was OS 9.2.2 it did'nt like or the G4 so I did it in a 7500 using Mac OS 8.1 or 8.5.

OK, i have now purchased a 7300/200 for 1,50 EUR from eBay only for flashing the card Smile. I will let you know if all works fine.

Haha, overkill or what :-)

I had a 7300/166 that I overclocked the 215mhz, it was a fine computer. Get a decent G3 in it and run BeOS or NetBSD or Linux.
memson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
Matt

Did you ever try and use the Mil II in the BeBox with the PPC Mac BIOS?, if so did it work and why did you keep it in with the PC BIOS?

Nope. I tried a IMS Twin Turbo pulled from a Mac in ot, and it worked. IIRC the boot logo worked too - though you might have only seen it on a reboot.

Basically, I bought the box with the card already in it and working and never really had a reason to change it until I wanted to run PR2. The PR2 would boot to the installer and then hand (possibly related to the bug mentioned above.) I replaced it with an S3 card - Trio I think, not Virge as that one is not supported by the PR2 too.
brams

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:

Andreas

Did you flash the card OK and does it work ok in the BeBox, are you getting the boot animation and logo now?
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:
Andreas

Did you flash the card OK and does it work ok in the BeBox, are you getting the boot animation and logo now?

Damn fucking Apple special Monitor connector! I have now the Apple here but can't see a picture because these special plug. I have now purchased for another few EUR such a DIP-switch thingy and have to wait for it.
BTW, after flashing the card, the 7300/200 should be able to install Rhapsody or BeOS? Or what can i do with such a fossil?
brams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
brams wrote:
Andreas

Damn fucking Apple special Monitor connector! I have now the Apple here but can't see a picture because these special plug. I have now purchased for another few EUR such a DIP-switch thingy and have to wait for it.
BTW, after flashing the card, the 7300/200 should be able to install Rhapsody or BeOS? Or what can i do with such a fossil?

Actually I think 7300's are a damn fine machine, brilliant for BeOS and probably Rhapsody too, not sure if it will run 5.6, I recall I tried OS X server 1.0 very quickly once on my 7300 maybe as an unsupported machine and it worked fine.

Apart from a crappy graphics they are very good, if i was you, I'd keep my eyes open for a decent PCI ATI card maybe an All in Wonder Pro (Rage Pro) and a fast G3 and put BeOS and Rhapsody on it. What would be cool is if you could get a Daystar or NewerTech nPOWER dual 604E cpu card. BeOS rocks with a fast SMP set up. PowerSurge PCI Macs where the last PowerPC supported platform as well, so for what you paid it's quite a decent prospect.

On the Intel side BeOS has a driver for the AIW so you can use the TV and VIVO functions, not sure if BeOS PPC has it though, I have a BrookTree TV card in my BeBox and that works fine though, so if the AIW uses a BrookTree IC then it should work for that too.
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brams wrote:

Actually I think 7300's are a damn fine machine, brilliant for BeOS and probably Rhapsody too, not sure if it will run 5.6, I recall I tried OS X server 1.0 very quickly once on my 7300 maybe as an unsupported machine and it worked fine.

I'm thinking of these Openstep 5.1 /5.2 like Developer Releases with the real NeXTstep GUI.
brams

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andreas wrote:
brams wrote:

I'm thinking of these Openstep 5.1 /5.2 like Developer Releases with the real NeXTstep GUI.

I think they work fine also. Probably best to forget about a G3 upgrade in that case though.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grabbed an auction off of ebay for a monostation, monitor cable, and extra next logo for $20 + shipping. Thought this would qualify as a "good deal".

Chef
conrad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Just grabbed an auction off of ebay for a monostation, monitor cable, and extra next logo for $20 + shipping. Thought this would qualify as a "good deal".

Chef

Do you have a link to this completed auction? I couldn't seem to find it, and I am curious about who the seller was...
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad wrote:
nextchef wrote:

Chef

Do you have a link to this completed auction? I couldn't seem to find it, and I am curious about who the seller was...

Here is the ebay item number, and it appears to be someone in michigan. 280046867667

I figured it was a great price just for the monitor cable, and I get a slab and and extra logo "for free".

Chef
conrad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the guy I got my complete Turbo system from. Very nice guy, ships quickly and responded to email with great alacrity.
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conrad wrote:
That's the guy I got my complete Turbo system from. Very nice guy, ships quickly and responded to email with great alacrity.

Good to hear some positive feedback from someone who has dealt with him.

This will be my fourth slab, so I should be good with spare parts now.

Chef
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: