NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Use Intel Celeron 700 MHz for a OPENSTEP dedicated system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patrick_symes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Use Intel Celeron 700 MHz for a OPENSTEP dedicated system? Reply with quote

Would an Intel Celeron 700 MHz system be a good and fast enough for a OPENSTEP dedicated system?

Also how much RAM can be used?
Is there a limitation of how much RAM (256 - 512 MB)?

Also how big can the hard drive be (20 GB)?
winfried

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 700 MHz cpu is by far fast enough for OS/NS systems (I assume, Celeron doesn't have any limitations, which would affect OS).
I haven't used an OS system with more than 256 MByte, so I don't know, if more RAM would cause problems. In this case, the amount of RAM, used by OS can be limited with a boot parameter, so I don't think, more would really be a problem. But in my 256 MB machine, most of the RAM is usually unused anyway (depends of course on the software your running).

For the harddisk: OS is limited to 4GB partition sizes ("fdisk" partitions).
You can also create up to 7 UFS slices on a harddisk (with "disk" as /dev/sd0a, sd0b etc.), if you don't need partitions on your disk for other operating systems. I'm not sure, if those slices are limited to 2GB, as in NS, or if it's possible to create 4GB slices. Does anybody know about that?
ericj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: FPU Reply with quote

I don't think that the Celeron has a floating point unit, which is required for OPENSTEP.

Eric
iDork

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys! Celerons are Pentiums with smaller caches and [maybe] slower bus frequencies.
ericj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

iDork wrote:
Come on guys! Celerons are Pentiums with smaller caches and [maybe] slower bus frequencies.

And no FPUs. Or at least the Coppermine core, from what I've heard. I believe the Pentium 4 Celerons have FPUs built-in.
multi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

ericj wrote:
iDork wrote:

And no FPUs. Or at least the Coppermine core, from what I've heard. I believe the Pentium 4 Celerons have FPUs built-in.

Dude, you have had over a day to research this yourself. Every main stream consumer Intel CPU and compatible has had a fpu since the introduction of Pentiums. Pentium/Pro/II/III/4/Celeron/Xeon/AMD K6/K6-2/Whatever has a fpu. Please delete the "no fpu" replies.

Last edited by multi on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
multi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Use Intel Celeron 700 MHz for a OPENSTEP dedicated syste Reply with quote

patrick_symes wrote:
Would an Intel Celeron 700 MHz system be a good and fast enough for a OPENSTEP dedicated system?

Also how much RAM can be used?
Is there a limitation of how much RAM (256 - 512 MB)?

Also how big can the hard drive be (20 GB)?

700MHz is overkill IMO. This is the list of x86 systems I run openstep on:

object.station 41 (486dx4 100mhz)
ibm thinkpad 765l (pentium 166mhz)
compaq deskpro tower (pentium 233mhz)

They all feel snappy. But the 233mhz is the only one I run mame, vgb and softpc on. The others feel too slow/lag. But the thinkpad I can run softpc and run Dark Forces and some other DOS games w/o problems. Tomb Raider under softpc on the thinkpad is too slow, but on the 233mhz machine it's fine.

As for memory, from what I recall, only 256meg is usable. If you have more than that there is no real benefit. But this is from memory and old discussions(old as in mid to late 90's).

And for HD, I dont use anything larger than 4gig(~3.9 usable) on each of those systems. I use nfs mounts for homedirs and /Local*.
ericj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

multi wrote:
ericj wrote:
iDork wrote:

Dude, you have had over a day to research this yourself. Every main stream consumer Intel CPU and compatible has had a fpu since the introduction of Pentiums. Pentium/Pro/II/III/4/Celeron/Xeon/AMD K6/K6-2/Whatever has a fpu. Please delete the "no fpu" replies.

I am very sorry, but phpBB won't let you delete posts after they have been replied to. Or at least the version this forum is running won't.

EDIT: I can't find any documentation that says for certain whether the Coppermine-128 Celeron specifically has an FPU or not. I looked it up recently, and wasn't able to find anything other than useless comparisons of the current Celeron. Also, my post included the words "from what I've heard". I never knew for certain. You really shouldn't have taken it so seriously.

To the original author: You should make sure that the graphics and IDE/ATAPI controller are compatible, as well as the network card, or you aren't going to get much done.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a page from rhapsodyos.org that may help.

http://www.rhapsodyos.org/hardware/os-ns_guides/os-ns_guides_1.html

Chef
da9000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeron definitely has an FPU. As multi says, anything after a Pentium does.

They had to run Quake afterall Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: