NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Networking with OSX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgabrys

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Networking with OSX Reply with quote

Trying to get some files off my old slab by hooking it up to an OSX mac. Tried hooking up a direct ethernet connection between the two to see if OSX could "see" the NeXT (as if I could be that lucky) and of course nothing.

I'm NOT a networking expert. What do I need to do to get them talking?
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Networking with OSX Reply with quote

mgabrys wrote:
Trying to get some files off my old slab by hooking it up to an OSX mac. Tried hooking up a direct ethernet connection between the two to see if OSX could "see" the NeXT (as if I could be that lucky) and of course nothing.

If your are lazy as me, enable the FTP-server on OS X and use a client from the NeXt side (or the other way around)
da9000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking with OSX Reply with quote

mgabrys wrote:

I think that makes sense, as the Mac box has an auto-sensing ethernet jack, while I doubt the NeXT does. Try the same thing but with a crossed-over ethernet cable. It should work, but then again, you'll need to either setup/enable NFSd in one of the two, or like Andreas suggested, go to your Mac OS X SysPrefs and enable the built-in FTPd. Easy as cake.

Hint: if you're looking to get a nice FTP client for the NeXT, I seem to recall that you can get a binary for ncFTP for black hardware some place. It's very nice and will let you do recursive (directory) transfers.

OK, I found it for you: http://www.wizards.de/~frank/download.html
multi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking with OSX Reply with quote

mgabrys wrote:

Depending on your Mac, you might need a x-over cable. Newer Macs come auto-mdix(meaning they will correctly handle instances when xover or straight thru is needed). So, if it's a G5 or later, you should be ok. But certain G4s and older arent auto-mdix capable.

And we're all assuming you have an IP up on both boxes and on the same network. If they are configured as such, then try to ping across and if nada, get a xover cable and try again. If you have a hub/swtich, you wont need a xover cable, just plug them into the hub/switch with your striaght thru cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: