NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
N4000 vs N4000A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: N4000 vs N4000A Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me the difference between the N4000 and N4000A monitors?

I have one of each with the following serial numbers:

N4000A AAA7018690
N4000 AAA1010413

The only real difference I can tell is that the roller feet on the front are slightly different. Other than that, I don't see any difference at all.

I assume that there are differences inside?

My N4000 is actually a lot brighter and in better condition than the N4000A with the exception of the roller feet. I was hoping to move the feet from the N4000A to the N4000, but it's looking like they are the one piece that's different. I may just trade the entire base, but that might make it "non-original equipment", right?

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has a list of differences between the two...

Or, for that matter, can somebody with an original N4000 take a picture of the roller feet so I can see if they are actually different? The feet on mine are deteriorated, so I'm not sure what they originally looked like...

Thanks guys!
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only N4000 monitor is in the basement, so I'm going to pull this from memory. The N4000A has a microphone on the lower left, the N4000 doesn't. The monitor base is different between the two versions. The original N4000 base is the same as the NeXT patent drawing.

http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/Patents/US_Patent_D317,760.pdf

The N4000A base is more rounded in the back. The N4000A sound board is the same board used in non-ADB soundboxes, the N4000 board is different. The rubber feet on my N4000 monitor have turned to goo, as many have. Although my N4000 is bright, many have gone dim due to a manufacturing/design flaw. Hope that helps.
pergamon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another difference: the N4000As have a lighter-weight (aluminum?) base, while the N4000s have a much heavier (cast iron?) base.
Ashman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to know.

(I was wondering where the weight difference came from. I noticed that the N4000 was a lot heavier than the N4000A.)

Now, since I don't want to simply trade the bases, as that would lead to a Frankenstein non-standard monitor, has anybody come up with a way to create a set of replacement rollers since the ones on my N4000 have turned to goo like everyone else's'?
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research on this a while back and found a product that looked like a good candidate to use for making replica wheels. The product is called Flexane and it's made by Devcon.

http://devcon.com./devconcatsolution.cfm?catid=14

From what I understand, you can vary the amount of hardener to create a finished product that is anywhere from rubber-like to hard plastic. And it's black. Smile The challenge would be to create a mold. I believe the original wheels are two piece, molded rubber over a hard plastic liner.
da9000

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
. Although my N4000 is bright, many have gone dim due to a manufacturing/design flaw.

What was that manufacturing/design flaw? Curious...
pike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned both versions of the monochrome NeXT monitors.

I believe the N4000A was an attempt to make a more economical monitor. I always felt the older N4000 had the better picture quality - I believe this was mainly due to the Sony Trinitron tube. The N4000A used a different tube and always appeared a bit "grainy" to me

BP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: