NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
iPhone may not be available until the end of June
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
da9000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the comments about the insatiable disposable material world we live in, I fully agree with what you guys are saying. And one thing to consider is that as things tend to be disposed, the speed of "upgrading" increases, and surely that's more money for the big companies out there, but I think what's worse is that the pace of life is sped up, and it's gotten to the point that you blink your eyes and what you new as true around you, isn't the same when they open again. I mean technology wise (ex: Sun is introducing 16-core CPUs now!), but also social-wise (ex: iPod video is the "in thing", so you've gotta toss that 40GB "normal iPod", coz it's not sexy any more). And this has huge ramifications into our interpersonal lives and relationships. I don't think most people enjoy their mates or loved ones enough. They either swap too often or are spending too much time upgrading iPods (or NeXT boxes??? Smile)

In the end, I really don't know if we enjoy the "phyiscal materials" we come in contact with. Like you guys mentioned, most people use their iPod until the next one comes out. Surely they don't have a chance to discover all there is to it. To tweak the hell out of it. To push it to its utmost limits! Perhaps they get satisfaction out of this flux. But I highly doubt it. Sure, during the moment when they get the new one, they get satisfaction. But I feel in my gut that they have moments of emptyness, many more than those of joy. I bet that when they see one of us "dorks" caring about these old black boxes and getting so much satisfaction out of messing around, and modding and fixing and cleaning our cubes and slabs, they must feel a great void inside them. Then again I might be delusional or a bit too biased Very Happy But then again again, they might realize we're also materialists, unfortunately, and laugh at us, but I highly doubt that too, since they're pioneering materialism with their trendy shopping addictions.

Blah. Rant over. Still, I'm very happy only 50,000 or so black hardware made it out of Fremont Wink
Nightengale

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, spooky too Very Happy
RacerX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
It scares me as well, especially with the 20 minute talk time they were getting out of the pre-release models people have seen so far. That was pre-production hardware, and it is hard to speculate further until the product has actually shipped.

Odd, so far people outside Apple have been limited in the amount of time they have been allowed to handle prerelease models to between 10 to 20 minutes.

And why would what is basically a wide screen video iPod (that can play video for up to 5 hours) be limited to 20 minutes talking time? Are you suggesting that phone service requires more resources of hardware than video playback?

That all seems a little counterintuitive to me.

:roll:

Of course, I don't own a cell phone so I wouldn't have much experience either way.
helf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 minutes?! I hope thats not right. thats just SAD if it is.

My treo600 with its bad battery gets about 2 hours of talk. when the battery was good it got a bit over 3. And I plan on buying a high capacity one for it in a few weeks. that should be good for about 5 hours :D

*hugs his treo*

best. phone. ever. Wink
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:
And why would what is basically a wide screen video iPod (that can play video for up to 5 hours) be limited to 20 minutes talking time? Are you suggesting that phone service requires more resources of hardware than video playback?

At this point, we do not know why the phone has been delayed, but a power problem like this would be a sensible reason to postpone things. From the video I have seen of the phone in action, it seems to rely heavily on OSX like GUI "eye candy", especially for something like the coverflow album art thing. This would seem to require some pretty substantial muscle in the GPU processor, and perhaps some further optimization is still being done to reduce that burden, and the resulting power usage. It is possible that the battery is undersized, remembering that the patent application they submitted outlined a unit with two batteries. Knowing how particular Jobs can be about the design of products, earlier prototypes may have been too big or "not feel right" in the hand, causing a redesign that discarded the 2nd battery.

Its all just speculation, but speculation can be fun too. :)

Chef
da9000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can definitely see Jobs recalling the unit due to aesthetic reasons Smile But I believe it'll be for the better. I trust his judgement when it comes to this stuff.

Somewhere I read that 50 of their top engineers are over in Taipei dealing with some last minute problems that have crept up. My guess is that it's the manufacturing/hardware that's over there. There's not reason they would need to go there to fix software, not unless it's the low-level stuff which is intimately tied to the hardware. But like nextchef says: all speculation Smile
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da9000 wrote:
Yeah, I can definitely see Jobs recalling the unit due to aesthetic reasons Smile But I believe it'll be for the better. I trust his judgement when it comes to this stuff.

Somewhere I read that 50 of their top engineers are over in Taipei dealing with some last minute problems that have crept up. My guess is that it's the manufacturing/hardware that's over there. There's not reason they would need to go there to fix software, not unless it's the low-level stuff which is intimately tied to the hardware. But like nextchef says: all speculation Smile

According to an article over on Ars technica, the issues are now with software, and not the previous battery issues, but who knows what the real reasons may be.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/04/19/source-iphone-running-into-os-issues-wont-meet-demand

Chef
da9000

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I agree with most of the comments about how you'd probably ship the phone to Apple, not Apple to Taipei :)

But it's probably software problems, coz I just recalled that I was contacted for a position on the iPhone team last week or so.
nextchef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its allmost time for the iPhone, and macrumors has what they say are the specs.

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/08/apples-iphone-specs-and-requirements/

Battery information is as follows:
- Lithium
- Up to 5 hours - Talk / Video / Browsing
- Up to 16 hours - Audio playback
(Battery life varies by use)

The talk time is on par with what my 8700c gets, which is good. I do not have an ipod, so I do not know how the video/audio playing time compares.

Chef
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: