NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT Printer N2000--no power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smn3D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: NeXT Printer N2000--no power Reply with quote

I recently moved my purchased-new-in-1992 NeXT Printer (N2000, not color) across town, and upon plugging it back into the TurboColorStation, it won't power up.

Having recently (well, probably 2-3 years ago now) done the roller replacement, I'm wondering if there's some quick fix, or circuit breaker, or fuse.

I did take the bottom metal plate off in an attempt to find a fuse/breaker, but didn't see one. While there, I noticed that none of the plethora of LEDs light when the printer is plugged in.

I was using this printer on an OS X network, and hate to see it go!

If there isn't a quick fix, anyone in the West looking to get rid of a functional NeXT printer?

Thank you for this great forum (which I just found today),

Scott

Businessland '030 Cube (originally optical-only): 1991
TurboDimensionCube: 1996
TurboColorStation ADB: 1997
Upgraded-to-'040 Cube: last month!
Drewmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a circuit breaker in the AC power module (in the back corner of the printer, what the power cord plugs into), as well as a fuse in the DC power module. Both are accessible by removing the top cover and then the fan (use some small pliers to unplug the fan -- don't pull on the wires!). The only components accessible through the bottom cover is the main logic board and the NeXT interface board (which also has a fuse).

While the power supply could be at fault, it could be a problem elsewhere in the printer. The best thing is to have another (working) printer handy to swap parts with. I have a printer with a broken mainboard/logic board/whatever they call it -- it powers on, but the fuser never comes on, therefore it never becomes "ready" and won't print. Hopefully you can fix yours, but if you trash your printer, I (or other people here) may want parts out of it, so don't throw it away just yet.
smn3D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NeXT Printer N2000--no power Reply with quote

Drewmeister,

Thank you for your advice--I just today got a chance to play with the printer.

Found the fuse (like an old car fuse), but not the circuit breaker, but I did a voltage check on both sides of the fuse and was getting nice clean 110.

I got everything working with the covers off by doing something funny--I noticed that when I was in PrintManager on OpenStep, I went to "Modify Printer" (the old config has been there this entire time). When I'd click OK, I noticed that I would hear a very brief sound of the printer making noise, but almost immediately would get a dialog saying something to the effect that the printer was not connected. For fun, I just held the return key in, and sent a huge volley of "OK"s, and that kept the "warming up" going long enough that it actually warmed up! WEIRD, but it was working, so I wasn't going to complain...

When I put the cover back onto the printer, sure enough, no response, even with the "hold the return key in PrintManager" trick... I took just the top cover off, and sure enough, could trick it into "warming up" again... I unplugged all the cables in there and replugged them in, and that worked, success with the cover back on! I'm not surprised that worked--that same technique also works sometimes on my 1966 Chevy Corvair (lol), and a 41-year old car is much newer in Car years than a 15-year old printer is in Printer years...

Thank you again, this forum is GREAT,

Scott

PS Now to get the world-famous roller problem fixed (did a gear-and-roller replacement about 5 years ago, hoped it would last longer than this...)
jheis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott:

Welcome to the forum! What is your source for replacement rollers? Do they cross-reference to the HP LaserJet II? I've got two printers that need rollers. I've still got one brand new factory sealed in the box, but I'd hate to open what may be the last new one!

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: