NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
color or b&w

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzoer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: color or b&w Reply with quote

Hi All,

I remember a friend of mine having a Next machine when I was younger and 'only' had an Amiga. Now that they're actually more affordable on Ebay, I'm contemplating getting one :-)

Is there any noticable speed difference between the color and the b&w version? I take it it natively uses color images and then dithers it down to b&w, but is this done in hardware?

Thanks!

-Yvo
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the b/w machines are a bit faster than the color ones unless you are using a cube with a dimension board or an overclocked color unit. I have a turbo mono slab, and its really really fast. I've never actually used a color system before. I hope to fix that soon Smile
yzoer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks for the reply. On to ebay... Very Happy
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to ask in the market Place here before you go to ebay and buy. someone here might have a good system they'd sell.
yzoer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently a couple of them on ebay that I'm eyeing up, but some seem a little suspicious! ( no screenshot and 'was working when put in storage' for instance )

Sound advice... Thanks again! A bit off topic but how well does a NextStation hold up these days in terms of performance? I'm not expecting whizbang video / audio, but just from a user experience POV. As much as I loved my Amiga in those days, the UI didn't really age well...

Yvo
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used mine everyday up until a few months ago when I got really busy with some things and just haven't touched *any* of my computers at home much.

Mine is a NeXTstation Mono Turbo with 128mb of ram. It runs really really well. I can be working in WordPerfect, have multiple SSH and irc connections going, be playing mp3s, viewing pdfs etc all at once with no problem what so ever.

i even, at one point, had 3 friends logged into my NeXT via telnet compiling and running programs while I was working in the GUI with stuff and it was smooth. You will be very surprised at just how well they run, specially if you get a turbo mono slab like mine, the b/w is really easy on the eyes and its silky smooth running :)

By virtue of its DPS graphics system, you never see a window redraw. Even my 2.4ghz windwos xp machine has redraw issues at times. I've *never* seen my NeXT do it.
da9000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: color or b&w Reply with quote

yzoer wrote:
I take it it natively uses color images and then dithers it down to b&w, but is this done in hardware?

As far as I know it doesn't do dithering. It either renders at 2-bit or true color.

The mono systems are faster in general, but the speed depends on the combinations of mono vs color and non-tubro (25Mhz CPU and bus/chipset) vs turbo (33Mhz CPU and bus/chipset).

As for the Amiga UI, I don't know if you've tried AmigaOS 3.9 with the various "extensions" (MUI, icon packs, etc), but I personally think it has aged rather well. AmigaOS 4 of course is much more modern. That is to say about the UI, not the applications. That is a different matter, and since there's no Mozilla/Firefox many think it has aged. Of course the Amiga community is still one of (or the) largest non-mainstream computing communities, so I guess that whole business about aging is questionable.

I personally think that the NeXTSTEP UI has aged gracefully. It's still pretty modern looking in my opinion, and if there was any skinability/themability you wouldn't be able to tell it from OS X. Of course, once again, there is a lack of "modern" applications (decent web browsers), and that's usually the "kill app" that makes and breaks machines/architectures/systems these days... unfortunately.

All in all, good luck getting your first NeXT Smile
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adore the Amiga. I've been wanting an actual machine for ages, watching an Amiga 1000 on ebay right now!

In my humble opinion, the NEXTSTEP GUI is the best. ever Wink Sure, it would use a few enhancements, but its unobtrusive, stays completely out of the way, and fast. just like a farking gui SHOULD be. I'm sick of these GUIs that take up 30% or more of the screen and don't really DO anything. *glares at vista, mac osx*

ok.. not to take this thread too far off topic... Razz
da9000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
ok.. not to take this thread too far off topic... Razz

:D

How much are you looking to spend for an A1000 ? (PM me)
yzoer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I have a complete A1000, external 3.5", external 5" and monitor. All of them in their original boxes.
I also have a ( I believe it's 25Mhz ) A3000 sitting on a shelf. With the 3.1 ROM upgrade and workbench, SAS/C etc.

Anyone interested to swap their NextStation? :-)

Yvo
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo.... no fair! I only have one NeXT at the moment :P

How about a sell? Razz I'll private message you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: