NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Xerox Promo video showing off the Xerox Star Computer system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Xerox Promo video showing off the Xerox Star Computer system Reply with quote

I thought this was really interesting. I had never seen the Alto/Star systems in action before.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ6ng1_TMN4&mode=related&search=

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWDq9K54izM&mode=related&search=

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmHdbj5cEY&mode=related&search=
Nightengale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great videos.

Hey if you are interested in that you really ought to check out Doug Englbart's stuff from 1968. Mouse inventor:

My favorite clips is described are such:

"Doug demonstrates working with a graphic file tagged with hyperlinked items. Clicking on a link in the graphic, Doug jumps to separate items, such as texts, linked to the graphic."

"In this segment Doug shifts to two- person collaboration. Doug initiates a "collaborative mode" in which he shares the same text-display with Bill Paxton in Menlo Park and at the same time a live audio-video window inset with Bill Paxton in Menlo Park."

Man...really makes you wonder where Jobs got his ideas from if you watch these ones.

If you are like me and love computer history, you'll find these videos to be a real treat. All in 1968-I'm still fascinated with what Englebart could do back then.

http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html
helf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightengale wrote:
Those are great videos.

Hey if you are interested in that you really ought to check out Doug Englbart's stuff from 1968. Mouse inventor:

My favorite clips is described are such:

"Doug demonstrates working with a graphic file tagged with hyperlinked items. Clicking on a link in the graphic, Doug jumps to separate items, such as texts, linked to the graphic."

"In this segment Doug shifts to two- person collaboration. Doug initiates a "collaborative mode" in which he shares the same text-display with Bill Paxton in Menlo Park and at the same time a live audio-video window inset with Bill Paxton in Menlo Park."

Man...really makes you wonder where Jobs got his ideas from if you watch these ones.

If you are like me and love computer history, you'll find these videos to be a real treat. All in 1968-I'm still fascinated with what Englebart could do back then.

http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html

Yes! I saw his demo awhile back. I was really amazed. He had an incredible vision. I was really amazed at the video conferencing and remote collaboration stuff that seemed to work so flawlessly way back then.

When you think about it, it's truly amazing how fast electronic computers have progressed.

My *calculator* is more powerful than most home computers were just 20 years ago. (it's a TI-92, 10mhz 68000 with 92KiB of RAM. so awesome... Razz)
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool links guys! Those were some amazing innovations!

It's funny, because after seeing the videos on the Star systems I saw another YouTubed video on how Xerox gave everything including the proverbial kitchen sync to Apple, and in there Steve Jobs says how he was so totally blinded by the first thing they showed him at Xerox, the GUI, that he didn't pay any attention to the other two: object oriented programming and networking. So the Mac had the GUI, but not these two.

Well, he surely didn't forget about them when he created NeXT Smile And I'm sure glad he didn't, making the NeXTSTEP operating environment the conglomerate of the Xerox technological triumvirate: GUI based on the desktop metaphor along with mouse for pointing, object oriented software and seamless internetworkability.

NeXTSTEP rules! Thank you Xerox :)

PS: anyone else have problem with the .ram (video) links on the Doug Engelbart site which Nightengale gave a link to?
Nightengale

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

da a couple of points-

1) You really nailed it on the head about NeXT imho Very Happy

2)RealPlayer has always been a pain for me to use in the past, but this site is pretty quick. I cannot report any problems there. I use FF 2.0.0.5 w/XP 2, and RP Win32 10.5...
da9000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightengale wrote:
da a couple of points-

1) You really nailed it on the head about NeXT imho Very Happy

:)

Nightengale wrote:

2)RealPlayer has always been a pain for me to use in the past, but this site is pretty quick. I cannot report any problems there. I use FF 2.0.0.5 w/XP 2, and RP Win32 10.5...

I'll try again, because I tried it with MPC and not Real Player itself. Thanks again for the page link!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: