NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Help with installing BeOS on a Quad core PPC Mac Clone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harbourmaster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Help with installing BeOS on a Quad core PPC Mac Clone Reply with quote

Like I need another project right now :)

I have a Daystar Digital Genesis 720+ Quad Core PPC Machine

This one: http://www.everymac.com/systems/daystar/mp_plus/genesis_mp720_plus.html

that I have been toying with the idea of running BeOS on, as I am told that v4.5 or 5.0 should use all 4 of the processors.

I have downloaded the (ISO?) disk images on my OS X machine but really have no idea what to do with them from there to get them on to the Genesis being the non-programmer type Mac user snob that I am...

Any and all help, suggestions, advice etc... welcomed
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to burn it w/ Toast. If the iso has a *.cue file, Toast will burn it. You could also try using cdrecord. It's a command line program that's useful for burning cd's as well. The thing about BeOS cd's is they have a boot image which is a floppy image & then 1 part for x86 & the other for PPC systems. You might try using the following. No promises. Wink

Get cdrecord for osx
Run a cdrecord -scanbus.

That's show you your device. Then, burn it w/ something like this:

cdrecord dev=x,x,x -eject -v -data -dao -pad -padsize63s driveropts=burnfree gracetime=0 beos5pro.image.iso beos5pro.part1.iso beos5.part2.iso

Use the device from the scanbus & make sure you use the proper iso names. That's just a shot in the dark. I just know there's 3 parts to the cd image. Razz The Daystar would make an awesome BeOS box. Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blackcube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running BeOS 5.0PE on my Genesis MP800.

I had to install a second hard drive and boot the Genesis on 7.6 to get the BeOS control panel to load to allow dual booting.

BeOS really hauls on the Genesis compared to my 133x2 BeBox. And yes all four processors come into play under BeOS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: