NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Need a Few Specifications on NeXT Station Color Slab.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drshmooz2001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Need a Few Specifications on NeXT Station Color Slab. Reply with quote

What is max ram and what 'type' is required? Is there 'vram' I can install and again, what 'type'? Finally, what type of Laser Printer connection etc. I am working on writing various individual works as a first project with this computer! keep me up to date on whatever else I might need to know, I am new to NeXT, just never had time to get around to it, I find these forums really stimulating and am Happy to be involved! Exclamation

Last edited by drshmooz2001 on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jheis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on whether you have the "turbo" chip set or not. You can tell by the number of memory slots. The non-turbos have 8 slots & you are limited to 32 MB IIRC.
The turbo boards have 4 slots and will accept four 32 MB 72 pin SIMMs for a total of 128 MB of ram.
NeXT spec'd 70 ns SIMMs, but 60 ns works just fine, at least on the turbo systems. I know Fast Page Memory works (again on turbo's) and I've read that EDO works as well, but I've not tried it. You want non-parity SIMMs. Parity works, but supposedly, slows the system down.
If you are talking about connecting to the NeXT Laser printer, a standard straight through M to M DB-9 cable (or M to F + gender changer) will work in place of the NeXT Cable.
If you are talking about connecting to other printers, I believe there is software (Jet Pilot?) available to run the HP Laser Jet II or maybe III?
James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: