NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
More fun with USB missile launcher, Xserve & iSight

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: More fun with USB missile launcher, Xserve & iSight Reply with quote

While joking around with my last buy (an USB missile launcher) I thought about giving that geek gadget some more "sense". While itīs fun to chase around your cat, wife or friends itīs not everything You can get out of that combination.
Owning an Xserve (or any other capable Mac) and an iSight itīs nearly the perfect combination of a server self defense system that can be controlled via the internet (in case You are not at home or Your server resides somewhere outside). Using Apple Remote Desktop along with OS X Server 10.3.9 it is possible to control that launcher with Remote Desktop. For watching what to aim on Youīll need QuickTime Streaming Server (maybe QuickTime Broadcaster is enough, havenīt tested this one) and the QuickTime Player running. The newer software version for controlling the launcher includes an iSight function that can be streamed directly to the net, the older one for 10.3.x needs that additional QuickTime setup.
What You have to do: just mount an iSight to the launcher, configure Your server as a Remote Desktop client, setup the stream, install the launcherīs control software and You are ready to go!

Hereīs the picture of a first construction version (will get more professional somewhat later):

The missile / iSight construction atop the old Xserve:

Within Apple Remote Desktop the handling is as simple as if You would run all that off Your desktop computer:

And this is me joking around with all that, firing all three missiles towards a Mac G4 housing screwed to my wall (turn up volume to hear that old Xserve howling and the launcher turning /firing):

Waste of time

Well, completely senseless and a perfect waste of time with no real defense effect but still lots of fun ;-)

J
pentium

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Hahahahaha!
That is one of the most creative things I have seen yet!

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately creative! I like it. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harbourmaster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made me smile!!!! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: