NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
The NeXT Room

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pergamon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: The NeXT Room Reply with quote

I've been accumulating NeXTs and NeXT memorabilia for several years now. Previously, I had a one bedroom apartment, and the collection was on shelves and bookcases completely surrounding my bed. Even then, some of it was in off-site, climate controlled storage. Now that I've moved into a new house, I can dedicate a room to it. My SO would prefer I get rid of it all, but for now at least she does me the service of pretending the house just has (n-1) rooms ;)

This week I finally finished putting the shelves up, moving the collection upstairs, and unpacking it. Once I finish organizing a little more I'll post some pictures.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in what you come up with, as I am looking for a good shelving system that allows me to display and use the systems I have better, as my Wife keeps threatening to call someone to "haul away all that junk". I need a good "floor to ceiling" system that will allow me to take advantage of the extra space to store less used items and small systems.

Cant wait for the pics, and congrats on the new diggs.

Chef
helf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, congrats on the new place, pergamon. Can't wait to see some photos.
ericj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
I am looking for a good shelving system that allows me to display and use the systems I have better, as my Wife keeps threatening to call someone to "haul away all that junk". I need a good "floor to ceiling" system that will allow me to take advantage of the extra space to store less used items and small systems.

I've heard Elfa is good.

Eric
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericj wrote:
I've heard Elfa is good.

Eric,

Thanks for the link, as they have some nice stuff and design ideas. I am trying to stay away from units that require shelf hangers or brackets that attach directly to the wall, as I would have to reinforce the walls too much to hold all the heavy books and such. I could do it all with Anthro carts and such, but who has that kind of money. I saw a setup somewhere online that had circular posts that attached to the ceiling and appeared to expand against the floor for a tight fit. It had brackets that attached to each side and hung the shelves in between. The unit in question allowed the guy to have his entire collection of systems lining the wall from floor to ceiling. At first I thought it was an Ikea product, as it had that look to it, but could not find anything like it in the catalog or on the website. Must have been some sort of custom system, but I can not find it now to even see about asking the guy in question how he did it. The one time I do not bookmark every random good thing I see .. oh well Sad

Chef
Thrax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However anybody sets up their displays, try to keep things out of direct sunlight. This is especially true if your systems have period mac peripherals which are famous for yellowing.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your new place. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Much of my gear is in total disarray in the basement, so itíll be nice to see a collection thatís organized. Smile
stevebez

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thrax wrote:
However anybody sets up their displays, try to keep things out of direct sunlight. This is especially true if your systems have period mac peripherals which are famous for yellowing.

To add to what Thrax said...

Any artwork (posters, etc.) should have uv glass and some sort of acid free backing. Ideally there will be a spacer between the glass and the art, such as a matting made from cotton rag. If you are of a clumsy nature you should consider uv plexiglass instead. I've seen one too many posters cut by the very glass that was there to protect them! If you doubt your framers honesty at all you can test the glass for uv protection with a blacklight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: