NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Openstep / ThinkPad 240: Follow Up Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Openstep / ThinkPad 240: Follow Up Questions Reply with quote

Ok, Openstep is running on my ThinkPad 240 along with an Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI adaptor.

I didnīt choose any display and sound driver because a) I donīt know which to choose and b) there are always conflicts mentioned and c) I donīt know what IRQs are and how to handle these.

Now:

Can drivers be installed later on?

The TP 240 uses an ES1946 (Solo) Audio controller - so I suppose the ESS driver from the floppies should work. Really?

It uses a Neomagic MagicGraph128XD with 2MB VRAM - Which driver could work? I Didnīt find any "VESA" driver on my floppies (1 standard driver, two beta driver floppies). Where can I find the VESA driver or any other that could work? What does "VESA" stand for anyway?

Thanks a lot once more!

J
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Openstep / ThinkPad 240: Follow Up Questions Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
Ok, Openstep is running on my ThinkPad 240 along with an Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI adaptor.

I didnīt choose any display and sound driver because a) I donīt know which to choose and b) there are always conflicts mentioned and c) I donīt know what IRQs are and how to handle these.

Now:

Can drivers be installed later on?

The TP 240 uses an ES1946 (Solo) Audio controller - so I suppose the ESS driver from the floppies should work. Really?

It uses a Neomagic MagicGraph128XD with 2MB VRAM - Which driver could work? I Didnīt find any "VESA" driver on my floppies (1 standard driver, two beta driver floppies). Where can I find the VESA driver or any other that could work? What does "VESA" stand for anyway?

Thanks a lot once more!

J

Since your 240 has the NeoMagic chipset, the VESA driver which is included in User Patch3/4 should work great! As far as the sound, I'd give the ESS driver a shot. If you get a conflict about the IRQ, just change the IRQ for sound to 7. It works perfectly on my Thinkpad 560E. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You very very much, this helped a lot indeed!

Now one last question regarding the IRQ: the IBM TP 240 handles itīs IRQs in the BIOS - but I suppose that You didnīt mean these. As far as Iīm trying my first Intel installation Iīm quite new to this...

When configuring the TP it asks me for the drivers for audio, display and else. It shows some kind of checkboard which itself shows (other?) IRQs. How can I change it within that GUI window?

Thanks!

J
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:
Thank You very very much, this helped a lot indeed!

Now one last question regarding the IRQ: the IBM TP 240 handles itīs IRQs in the BIOS - but I suppose that You didnīt mean these. As far as Iīm trying my first Intel installation Iīm quite new to this...

When configuring the TP it asks me for the drivers for audio, display and else. It shows some kind of checkboard which itself shows (other?) IRQs. How can I change it within that GUI window?

Thanks!

J

Hi Jenne,
I'm not familiar w/ the TP 240. But if you can set the IRQ's in the BIOS, then change the IRQ for audio to IRQ 7. Then when you boot up OPENSTEP, start up Configure.app. Click on the Video section, then click on "add." It'll try to auto-detect the video display driver. If it don't come up w/ one, it'll give you a complete list of all available video drivers. Add the VESA driver. Then set up the screen size. Next, click on the Audio section. Again, click on "add" It'll try to do the same thing. If it don't auto-detect the ESS driver, add it manually from the list. If you have an IRQ conflict in Configure.app, it'll tell you. Adjust as needed. Make sure you save your settings. Reboot. When booting backup, use the -v flag so you can see the system configuring the drivers on boot up. Post if you have any errors. I'll try to help you further. You can always use config=Default to reboot if needed to fix things. Cool
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the offer to help me if any other problems appear - and they do Rolling Eyes

Iīm facing some troubles... The BIOS of the TP allows reconfiguration of the several IRQs (up to 11 I suppose, maybe 15). The Adaptec PCMCIA covers number 11 when inserted. Ok, so far so good.

Now, before inserting that PCMCIA I will have to set up the remaining IRQs within the BIOS. As long as this TP shows me about 4 IRQs already used (without any OS installed) I suppose that the remaining IRQs (with exception of number 11) can be used for OpenStep configuration (the special drivers). Right?

The other problem is a major one. In the meantime I downloaded the Patch 3 (which contains the VESA driver) from Apple. Burned onto an Apple HFS CD and copied to my NeXT Turbo color. I do not own any other Intel / OpenStep driven machine so I donīt know how to get these drivers off that package. A simple installation fails because of permission settings and rights and I think (but maybe Iīm wrong) that it installs just the MACH files, not the i368 files in addition to that NeXT Turbo color. So how do I get the necessary driver files for i368 onto a floppy? Can I extract them off that package anyway? Or do I have to use a regular Intel machine with an already running OpenStep for this?

J
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I got some troubles solved. After downloading Patch 3 and burning it to a CD I was able to install the display driver. Now the ThinkPad 240 runs at 800 x 600 and shows colours Smile To my surprise the ThinkPad was able to read an Apple HFS Standard formatted CD ROM but refused to read an ISO... dunno why. I changed the BIOSī IRQs before installation, OpenStep fetched the rest of them accordingly.

As long as I donīt know how to test the sound Iīm not sure if it works or not but it looks promissing.

Update: Iīve been installing the ESS xyz audio driver, but it does not seem to work. Iīve tested a QuickTime movie and an Apple Sound file (.snd) both at least started to play (Sound Edit and NEXTIME) but NEXTIME bothered about the movieīs format and Sound Edit did not produce any hearble sound...

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> White Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: