NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rhapsody on a G3s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dravier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Rhapsody on a G3s Reply with quote

As of right now, I have a few Macs (really hoping to aquire a new one soon) and all are G3 based. The group includes:
> B&W G3 @ 350
> iBook clamshell G3 @ 266
> iBook Dual-USB G3 @ 500
> iMac Rev D G3 @ 233
> iMac slot loading G3 @ 350
I would love to run Rhapsody but not totally sure what my best bet is with this group. We seem to have a few people who run Rhapsody and know it pretty well here and I was hoping to avoid installing, patching and fighting through these machines if possible. Any suggetions would be great. My ideal canidate would be the clamshell iBook... but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the assistance.

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
brams

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RacerX is the best person to ask, here's the info right off his own page on the subject:

http://www.rhapsodyos.org/hardware/system_requirements/system_requirements_1.html#5.6P

If you've not spent anytime on his sites I'd recommend you do, they are very good

www.shawcomputing.net

I think from what I can see, the B&W is the best best, you using OS X Server 1.X or DR1 or 2?
RacerX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at these just on the basis of what you may be able to get installed
    B&W G3 @ 350 (Mac OS X Server 1.0, 1.2, 1.2v3)
    iBook clamshell G3 @ 266 (Mac OS X Server 1.2, 1.2v3)
    iBook Dual-USB G3 @ 500 (not compatible with Rhapsody as far as I know)
    iMac Rev D G3 @ 233 (Rhapsody DR2 with G3 patch, Mac OS X Server 1.0, 1.2, 1.2v3)
    iMac slot loading G3 @ 350 (Mac OS X Server 1.0, 1.2, 1.2v3)

That having been said, I've a friend who ran Mac OS X Server 1.2 on a clamshell iBook for a while quite successfully... but he was actually making use of Mac OS 8.6 in Blue Box rather than using Rhapsody itself.

From my own experiences I would most likely not install Rhapsody on a clamshell iBook. I have a PowerBook 3400c which has a similar display (12.1", 800x600 resolution) which is quite a bit faster than my IBM ThinkPad. Before I got it I was thinking that I would set up the 3400c as my new portable Rhapsody system to replace the ThinkPad.

I had Mac OS X Server 1.2 installed on it for about a week before replacing it with Mac OS 8.6.

The problem... Running Rhapsody at 800x600 was just too cramped for me to be productive (and the secondary issue of the fact that Blue Box doesn't run on PowerPC 603e based systems).

So I'm still carrying my ThinkPad around with me everywhere because even having fewer apps, an older version of Rhapsody (DR2) and slower hardware (Pentium at 133 MHz) I was still more productive with the 1024x768 display.

It should also be noted that I do a lot of web design, graphic design and page layout in Rhapsody, and I love to spread my work out. My last two Rhapsody desktop systems both had multiple monitors... which I use to their fullest (as can be seen below).

click to enlarge

For other uses, 800x600 would not be that bad for some people. The best rule of thumb is if 800x600 is too small a resolution for you in NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP, then it may be too small for you in Rhapsody.
Lateralus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if Rhapsody can run on 604e Macs that have been upgraded with G3/G4 processor cards? I have a rather decked out 9600 and I'm wanting to get the new Sonnet 1GHz/2MB card for it.

Also, will Rhapsody detect IDE drives via an ATA card?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the 9600 with a G4 CPU card in it?, this might a a wee bit of topic but I'd suggest you try the 9600 with the card of your choice before paying any money or at least get a good return policy.

I tried 2 G4 CPU upgrades, a 350mhz PowerLogix and a 400 NewerTech and both where major head aches running on a PowerComputing PowerTower Pro 225 (even with the level 2 cache simm pulled), not a 9600 I realise, but not far off either. Thing ran fine with a PowerLogix 300mhz G3 or a DayStar nPower 400 dual 604e CPU.

The PT Pro, corrupted nearly any kind of big file it received via on board AAUI Ethernet with a G4 in it, assuming you could get it to boot which was not often, I could not unstuff most of what I transferred over my network, it sent stuff out OK though. I tried all different kinds of cache enablers with no result. I did eventually end up with a 350mhz G4 cheap of OWC when NewerTech went bust in 2000, that was one of the last ones and apparently the CPU card had a hack on it that patched NV ram at boot time, that worked great.

AFAIK Mach5 (Kansas) 9600's are better and have roms programmed to deal with certain attributes of PPC 750 CPU's (speculative processing), Tsunami boards are not and I think that means 9600/233 or less.

Sorry to have not answered your question on Rhapsody or the SCSI card to which I really have no idea, I just had such a headache with CPU's and the PT Pro and it cost me quite a bit in restocking fees, I felt I should point it out to you. Your mileage may vary though.
Nadav35

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Do you have Mac OS X server 1.2v3? Reply with quote

I am looking to pay $100 dollars for a license fee if someone can provide this to me. The license fee would cover the software also.

thank you.

brams wrote:
Have you tried the 9600 with a G4 CPU card in it?, this might a a wee bit of topic but I'd suggest you try the 9600 with the card of your choice before paying any money or at least get a good return policy.

I tried 2 G4 CPU upgrades, a 350mhz PowerLogix and a 400 NewerTech and both where major head aches running on a PowerComputing PowerTower Pro 225 (even with the level 2 cache simm pulled), not a 9600 I realise, but not far off either. Thing ran fine with a PowerLogix 300mhz G3 or a DayStar nPower 400 dual 604e CPU.

The PT Pro, corrupted nearly any kind of big file it received via on board AAUI Ethernet with a G4 in it, assuming you could get it to boot which was not often, I could not unstuff most of what I transferred over my network, it sent stuff out OK though. I tried all different kinds of cache enablers with no result. I did eventually end up with a 350mhz G4 cheap of OWC when NewerTech went bust in 2000, that was one of the last ones and apparently the CPU card had a hack on it that patched NV ram at boot time, that worked great.

AFAIK Mach5 (Kansas) 9600's are better and have roms programmed to deal with certain attributes of PPC 750 CPU's (speculative processing), Tsunami boards are not and I think that means 9600/233 or less.

Sorry to have not answered your question on Rhapsody or the SCSI card to which I really have no idea, I just had such a headache with CPU's and the PT Pro and it cost me quite a bit in restocking fees, I felt I should point it out to you. Your mileage may vary though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: