NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Seeking some sympathy: Fried IIfx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
itomato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Seeking some sympathy: Fried IIfx Reply with quote

I picked up a pile of free Macs (love that Craigslist), and among them, though not advertised, was a IIfx!

It was functional, and was my first pick for use as an A/UX & NetBSD box, mostly because of the original price tag and little other practical use.

I should have listened to the voice in my head saying, "No, don't plug that honkin' IBM 18GB into the internal power supply.." (which is routed via the MLB) but I did not heed the warning. I WANTED POWER! Twisted Evil

Serves me right. No power to internal SCSI bus. Signal is there, but I don't really want that thing to live its life with an umbilical cord powering the HD, although it might not be that bad. Fire concerns are what get me now. After hearing the sizzle and smelling the smoke, I'm reminded that I'm playing with 20 year-old hardware. There's an inherent risk there!

Yep. 16MB worth of odd-ball memory and everything.. Love that form factor!
Thrax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great computer.
Many people today outside of vintage collectors don't appreciate how "high end" the iifx was it came out. I certainly do, i still remember a local store "showing it off" by running the exact programs side by side with other macs of the day like the plus, SE and original ii. Apple had a major release of A/UX the same time as the iifx release so it would be appropriate for you to have use it.

At least it was working when you got it. I picked up some stuff from CL where hardware didn't work before I was even able to experiment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: