NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
IIgs laptop mod - from benheck.com

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: IIgs laptop mod - from benheck.com Reply with quote

Amazing what a talented artist/craftsman can do with acrylic.

Imagine walking into starbucks and pulling this out of your bag.
http://benheck.com/04-14-2008/apple-iigs-original-hardware-laptop

EDIT:
Link to the youtube vid, as his site is still getting hammered with traffic.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oYlPjlGUL9I
EDIT:

Last edited by nextchef on Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
dravier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! That is amazing. Okay, this is the guy we need to talk to about moding a NeXT setup for a modern look. Just need to supply him with the gear to do it.

Just amazing...

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
helf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I inquired about him doing a laptop mod for a NeXTstation if I supplied the parts. Waiting on a response...
nextchef

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
heh, I inquired about him doing a laptop mod for a NeXTstation if I supplied the parts. Waiting on a response...

With the size of the NeXT motherboard, that would be a large laptop indeed.
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IIgs was a pretty cool pre-mac system. Back when I was in the Air Force, stationed up in Alaska, I found this old computer store. I got to know them well in there after purchasing quite a bit of stuff. Laughing I eventually started doing some Mac's repairs, etc for them. But they had this huge "inventory" of old Apple II systems. I built myself a really sweet maxed out IIgs system for basically nothing. It was a great for all the old games. I had a blast w/ that system. I had it setup next to my Atari TT/030 & Amgia 4000 Toaster system. I know computers are 100 times faster today, but they really don't have the "excitement" alot of the systems in the 80's/early 90's did. I can still remember the fun I had soldering my Sinclair zx81 together. Rolling Eyes Those were the days. Seeing those pics makes me want to dig out that IIgs emulator I have for my NeXT. It's around here somewhere. It'd be fun to boot it up again. It's been along time. That laptop is awesome.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dravier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed nextchef, a NeXT laptop would be difficult given the size of the mainboard. But, a nice rework of the station design or the cube... maybe even the Mac / NeXT retro machine concept. Whatever it is, it would definitely be cool to see.

Where was this guy like ten years ago when there was a bunch of talk about a company selling bare-bones G3/4 systems. The biggest thing they lacked was a case... alas.

As to kb7sqi, my true and full-fledged intro to computing was a little later than the Apple II / Sinclair days but I do miss the glory of older systems. For me is was my 386 DOS 5 beast... 4 mb ram, 124 mb HD, 2400 bps modem with a 3.5 and 5.25 floppy. Wow, it was a machine to fear when it came outta that shiny box. I actually still have a DOS notebook around for those memories (a Grid 286 w/ an amber display, 3.5 and 2mb ram, forget the HD size). I can get lost on it for hours...

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson
kb7sqi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dravier wrote:
As to kb7sqi, my true and full-fledged intro to computing was a little later than the Apple II / Sinclair days but I do miss the glory of older systems. For me is was my 386 DOS 5 beast... 4 mb ram, 124 mb HD, 2400 bps modem with a 3.5 and 5.25 floppy. Wow, it was a machine to fear when it came outta that shiny box. I actually still have a DOS notebook around for those memories (a Grid 286 w/ an amber display, 3.5 and 2mb ram, forget the HD size). I can get lost on it for hours...

Well, I'm probably a little bit older. Wink Yeah, the cool thing about the old days was the fun learning how the system truly worked. Atleast for me anyway. After I decided to "mod" my zx81, before I put it in a pc style case, it'd take up a whole table. Laughing I handwired my own keyboard using wirewrap wiring & cmos 4066 chips for extra function keys. I gave it color graphics, audio from a c-64 SID chip, had floppy drives, a modem, printer port. 256K of ram. It was a monster. I had wires going everywhere. But I was learning way more about the system compared to someone going to dell.com now & buying a computer. Even though I love the command line, I've always hated DOS/Windows. I don't even care for x86 cpu's really. I loved the Motorola CPU's. That's why I used Atari's/Amgia's/Sinclair QL & eventually Mac's/NeXT systems. When Apple decided to shift to x86, which I believe was a smart move, part of me still was really upset. Kinda like when Apple bought NeXT. I knew in my heart it was the starting of the end of all things NeXT. I love Mac OS X, but it's not NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP. Just my personal take on the that part of history. Wink Take care.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thrax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really cool way to champion the GS. I loved the GS when it came out.
itomato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I required internet access, I used to ride my bike to the Public Library just to look at this:

http://www.apple2.org/AppleIIgsPortables.html

That thing inspired numerous hacking projects, including a re-packaged C=64 in a red fur covered PC enclosure, with internally mounted 1541's..

Ahh, the memories..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: