NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
have 2 and need help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizreed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: have 2 and need help Reply with quote

We used Next workstations at an old job and they installed 2 in my home when I was put on bedrest during a pregnancy. After our unit was shut down I had no way to use them but saved them because they were so awesome. (I even had an talking e-mail message from Steve Jobs on one with the little postage stamp picture where he explains how to create a talking e-mail. he sat in my desk at work to give us a demo.) I would love it if someone could help me learn how to get them to work again.
I probably don't deserve to even have them given my profound ignorance but I was always aware how ahead of their time they were.
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow sounds awesome! Were you in that big ad agency that was next's first (and probably only) high profile non Alphabet client?

I and the others surely can help, but I guess it depends on what state the machines are in.

Are these slabs, or cubes? Mono or colour? .. Any or all detail you can gather is 'good'.

Pictures of front/back's work fantastic too!

Good luck!
lizreed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color for sure, says megapixel display 2 channel audio n4000a on back and sat on the 'pizza box'
neozeed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizreed wrote:
color for sure, says megapixel display 2 channel audio n4000a on back and sat on the 'pizza box'

I thought the n4000a was a B&W... well 4 shades of grey.

Anyways, can you get the machines to turn on?

I'm assuming you have the cables & bits....
un

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a monitor with a keyboard and speaker port on the back it's black and white (ok 4 shades of grey).

There should be a short cable which fits one end into the pizza box, and the other into the monitor. Plug that in, then plug the keyboard into the monitor, and the mouse into the keyboard. Then get a power lead (if you can't find one, a PC power lead is the same) plug that in and press the power button on the keyboard.

Assuming everything went well and the computer still works, it will start making fan-whirring noises and the monitor will come on.

A colour pizza box has a wedge shaped speaker with it, that is a bit more complex, it should have a Y-shaped cable. Plug the base of the Y into the computer and then connect one of the "arms" to the speaker and one to the monitor, plug the keyboard into the speaker and then plug the pizza box into the mains (you will need another cable for the monitor too) turn on the monitor and then press the power button on the keyboard. Again you should hear whirring sounds from the pizza box if all is well.

Try wiring them up and see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: